Need an alternative to Scythe Ninja Mini thats Discontinued

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zefiris

Need an alternative to Scythe Ninja Mini thats Discontinued

Post by zefiris » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:29 pm

It looks like the Scythe Ninja mini is retired.... and now im looking for a heatsink that can go into my Antec Fusion case that will benefit from the case fans and wont be using the CPU fan.... I guess the Scythe Big shuriken can do it, but it isnt really suited for the job.

Does anyone else know of any other heatsinks that can fit the order?

Spare Tire

Re: Need an alternative to Scythe Ninja Mini thats Discontin

Post by Spare Tire » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:50 am

bump for interest

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:55 am

A possible alternative is the Scythe Samurai ZZ see http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/0 ... etail.html.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:18 pm

Shame to see the Minja go, was a tough little cooler with plenty of heatpipe power. Excellent for low airflow.

Smallest they've now got by fan size is the ZZ already mentioned, which got excellent marks on the previous test platform for both high and low airflow. The snag here is that it's a top-down cooler, so sideways airflow may be less than ideal. Better than the Big Shuriken, but might still not be enough for comfort.

I think today you'll be left looking at small tower coolers. Unfortunately everywhere I looked (Nexus, Thermalright, Zalman, Noctua, Xigmatek) it was all tight-finned, ergo poor for low airflow (low pressure) scenarios. If you find one that fits, however, and can duct it to the case fan without compromising VRM cooling (two fans should mean no problem), I think that might be your best bet for efficient cooling.

If you have an extremely low-power setup, however, you might be able to get away with it without ducting. The only way to know is to try, or find someone else who has.

PS. I know it's a long shot, but some of the "single-unit" water coolers available today are relatively decent. If you're really pressed for cooling power, they could be an option, since you have the 120 mm fan openings required. Might take some doing with the protruding grills though.