Suggested heat sink for AMD A8-3850 and Sugo Series SG05BB

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

machoboy6

Suggested heat sink for AMD A8-3850 and Sugo Series SG05BB

Post by machoboy6 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:25 pm

Fm1 mini-itx boards (well one so far) are finally out on newegg and I'm building my first mini-itx build. That means i have no experiences with SFF cases. I make it a habit of never using the stock cooler for my builds and would like some input on what heat sinks will fit this case.

Abula

Re: Suggested heat sink for AMD A8-3850 and Sugo Series SG05

Post by Abula » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:02 pm

Im not familiar with the case nor with AMD LLano, but if you have time, might be worth it to check [YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:03 am

machoboy6 wrote:Fm1 mini-itx boards (well one so far) are finally out on newegg and I'm building my first mini-itx build. That means i have no experiences with SFF cases. I make it a habit of never using the stock cooler for my builds and would like some input on what heat sinks will fit this case.

I'm not a fan either of the SG05, nor of any SFX PSUs (which are sometimes loud, and however very often annoying).

BTW, SPCR is still a webmagazine and not only a forum: here there's the SPCR review (I mean you may add the Scythe Big Shuriken - one of SPCR favourites - and the Prolimatech Samuel 17 to the pointed out heatsinks): check it out.

mkk

Post by mkk » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:50 am

The Sugo cases are relatively spacious vertically so the Scythe Samurai ZZ should be a good fit.
The Shuriken series does not fit because the FM1 CPU socket and memory is too close together for the heatpipes that stick out relatively far sideways.

I'm currently using the better stock AMD cooler with heatpipes on my A8-3850 and it's doing a fairly decent job if not quiet at medium loads. The cooler that comes in the package is really underperforming and should be thrown out in every build.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:20 am

mkk wrote:the Scythe Samurai ZZ should be a good fit.

The Samurai ZZ does not fit: it's 94mm tall, where the available space (SG05) is 82mm at most.

About the Big Shuriken, I don't know FM1 mITX boards, however on 1156 mITX ones like this:

the Big Shuriken fits, while the slightly taller Shuriken Rev. B fits even better.
So YMMV: but, more probably that not, with FM1 board like this other one, it should fit at anyway.