quiet cooling for AMD Phenon II X6 1055T help...

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Air2

quiet cooling for AMD Phenon II X6 1055T help...

Post by Air2 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:11 am

hi all,
ive not been on here for a long time but cam back as just rebuilt my HTPC and need help with a quiet cpu cooler.

AMD Phenon II x6 1055t cpu
ASUS M5A 78L-M usb3 board
8GB ddr3 (2x4GB sticks) 1600 kingston hyper X ram
Nexus NX-8050 500 watt PSU
Samsung Blu-ray sata drive
320gb western digital sata drive with OS and other progs
1TB samsung sata drive for music, films, photos
Antec fusion case (has volume knob on front)

the issue is the Antec fusion case. Any suggestions on coolers would be appreciated.

ian

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Re: quiet cooling for AMD Phenon II X6 1055T help...

Post by SebRad » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:00 am

Hi, you might measure or look up but I think you have ~100mm of height to play with for CPU Cooler.
Scythe Shuriken or Shuriken Big will fit and probably cool the CPU unless you have plans to over-clock it. Not sure how quiet it would manage to be under extended load though, if you're planning on subjecting PC to that, video transcoding maybe?
Also look at Thermalright AXP-140 and Cooler Master Vortex Plus come to mind. Know little of the CM VP but 4 direct touch heatpipes should perform at least reasonably well.
No doubt there are many other options too, avforums worth a look as this question of which heatsink for Antec Fusion case no doubt asked many times. Pick the biggest/best looking lump metal and then experimant with good/quiet fans!

Ninja Mini, if you can get one anywhere.... would fit.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article754-page5.html

Regards, Seb

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:39 am

Air2 wrote:the issue is the Antec fusion case. Any suggestions on coolers would be appreciated.

You have an absolute max of about 120mm inside the Fusion (apart sample variance): without bulging, IMO/IME you may have either a max 118mm tower-style cooler, or a max 110mm top-down heatsink.

The E0 stepping (like the C3 for X4) is relatively "cold", so you have to spec a load temp requirement in order to choose the CPU cooler.

Air2

Post by Air2 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:57 am

thanks guys. was thinking of either Scythe Shuriken or Shuriken Big will need to look at what are the differences in them.

forgot all about the ninja mini (discontinued) so that would be an ebay hunt :(

will check the avforums also. the stock fan seems to be settling down and not ramping up as much after week of use. but at night its just irritating hearing it when my old rig with a zalman (modded to fit) was whisper quiet.

i do have a spare nexus quiet 80mm fan that i could swap with the stock fan.......

thanks again guys will need to do more reading it looks like.