Anyone with a Scythe Mugen 2 and a Fractal R3?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mjgunn

Anyone with a Scythe Mugen 2 and a Fractal R3?

Post by mjgunn » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:58 pm

I've got this combination coming, along with some ram that have taller than average heatsinks (g.skill ripjaw x). All the research I put into picking parts and after I order the one thing I realize that I think is going to trip me up is that the ram might not fit with the heatsink lol. I've read that the fan can be adjusted up/down along the side of the cooler a bit to make room for ram clearance. I'm trying to find out if in the fractal case is there enough clearance between the top of the cooler and the side of the case when closed to move the fan up enough to make room for slightly taller than average ram?

My other option is to mount the fan on the other side of the cooler, if there's enough clearance between the back case fan and where the cpu fan would then be. Any comments from someone with some experience with this combination would be greatly appreciated.

jcoffin1981

Re: Anyone with a Scythe Mugen 2 and a Fractal R3?

Post by jcoffin1981 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:07 pm

Better late than never.... I don't have this case but I have this cooler with the Arc Midi. The fan can move up and down a few centimeters to clear the ram. The cooler can also be rotated 90 degrees so that it will never interfere with the Ram. If the R3 is as big as the Arc Midi you won't have a problem anyway.

Lsv

Re: Anyone with a Scythe Mugen 2 and a Fractal R3?

Post by Lsv » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:02 am

I had a Mugen 2 on my Asus P6T and I had no ram issues. Ripjaw X dimms here too, I did however have to raise the fan up a few cm but no big deal.