I need a lighter fan for a p4 3.0 GHz 800fsb processor

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:20 am

I use the Thermalright SLK900U. It's the second-heaviest S478 heatsink you can buy but it bolts securely onto the MoBo so it's weight ceases to be a problem. It's also one of the two best performing S478 heatsinks you can buy so you can use a quiet fan (like a Panaflo L1A at 12V or less) on it and still keep your CPU nice and cool.

Here's a picture of an SLK900 screwed onto a MoBo so you can see how well mounted it is. Here's a review of it that has lots of pictures of the heatsink and all it's mounting hardware.

If this doesn't seem like your cup of tea, read the Recommended Heatsinks article on the main site. Note that all of the recommended P4 heatsinks are rather large and heavy. They need to be in order to be highly efficient so you can run a quiet, low flow fan on them and still acheive good cooling performance.

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: more questions

Post by MikeC » Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:52 pm

xyr2 wrote:The Zalman 7000-Cu / AlCu CPU Heatsink seems nice, but do you think that that is strong enough during moving?
Probably. It is fairly light, and the P4 HS retention frame is quite sturdy. If in doubt, get one of those plastic or metal supports to fit under the CPU, on the trace side of the motherboard. Like the piece in this photo:

One of the online shops that sell the Zalman surely must have offer something like this...

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: more questions

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:17 am

MikeC wrote:
xyr2 wrote:The Zalman 7000-Cu / AlCu CPU Heatsink seems nice, but do you think that that is strong enough during moving?
Probably. It is fairly light, and the P4 HS retention frame is quite sturdy. If in doubt, get one of those plastic or metal supports to fit under the CPU, on the trace side of the motherboard. Like the piece in this photo:

One of the online shops that sell the Zalman surely must have offer something like this...
You can get the P4 retention bracket kit that includes that backup plate from Nexfan.com for $4. I seem to remember Directron carrying them too, but I can't find them on their site right now. If you live near a Fry's, they carry them too.