Thermalright SLK-947u

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GenghiS_KhaN

Thermalright SLK-947u

Post by GenghiS_KhaN » Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:55 am

This is the new heatsink from thermalright, cooling has improved again :)

[img]http://www.born2oc.be/images/news/10631 ... e10[1].gif[/img]

http://www.systemcooling.com/modules.ph ... e&sid=1165

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:11 am

Well, that 1C difference is probably smaller than the accuracy of their thermal probes, wherever they're mounted (since the review doesn't say) so I wouldn't go so far as to say its better.

Evo

Post by Evo » Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:11 am

If you have a CPU that runs hot it could make a difference. Also this test was done with a high airflow fan. With a panaflo or pabst at 5V it would make a bigger difference.

GenghiS_KhaN

Post by GenghiS_KhaN » Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:56 pm

Zhentar wrote:Well, that 1C difference is probably smaller than the accuracy of their thermal probes, wherever they're mounted (since the review doesn't say) so I wouldn't go so far as to say its better.
But if the temp is not correct when using the slk900, the temp will still be uncorrect when testing the 947, so it does make a difference? :?:
and it is still an improvement even if it is only 1C :)
Evo wrote:If you have a CPU that runs hot it could make a difference. Also this test was done with a high airflow fan. With a panaflo or pabst at 5V it would make a bigger difference.
yes thats what i thought but i'm not sure :?

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:45 pm

Let's pretend for a second that the results are accurate to 0.1 degrees. The improvement given by the 947U over the 900U is equivalent to changing the 900's mounting system. That's not exactly a big jump. In fact, all three heatsinks are practically identical, and 1 degree variation could be observed simply by re-installing the same heatsink over and over.

Here's a self-contradicting quote from the article:
The rise-above-ambient load temperatures show a statistically insignificant 1ºC variation, but the 947U does in fact come out on top[.]
Even the authors admit that there's no significant difference between the three heatsinks, although for some reason they still claim that the new heatsink is better. I guess if you spend that much time testing a heatsink, you want something to show for it. You can't just tell your editor, "Yeah, they're all the same heatsink," you have to have a winner! :roll: :P

If anything, this article shows that cooling has not improved with the new heatsink.

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:54 pm

GenghiS_KhaN wrote: But if the temp is not correct when using the slk900, the temp will still be uncorrect when testing the 947, so it does make a difference? :?:
and it is still an improvement even if it is only 1C :)
Actually thats not true. They are both off, yes. But they are not both off by the same amount, or even neccesarily in the same direction. My compunurse, which probably has accuracy close to their probes, will easily jump around .4C between updates (3 sec). In addition to the temperature, CPU load and other things will vary slightly further reducing the accuracy. With differences that small, we really only know they are very close to each other in performance.

Edit: fixed it so I didn't have a garbled sentence at the end. I shouldn't watch TV and browse forums at the same time.
Last edited by Zhentar on Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GenghiS_KhaN

Post by GenghiS_KhaN » Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:25 pm

hm, your explanation sounds correct :)
guess i was wrong :oops:

btw: did they mention anything bout a price?

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:55 am

Why try SLK-947 when you can try SP-94?

http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/

Please do remember that these heatsinks really need huge airflow to show of any marginal performance benefits they might have over each other.