i7 3770k CPU cooler recommendation

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

builder2501

i7 3770k CPU cooler recommendation

Post by builder2501 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:19 pm

I am planning on getting a i7 3770k CPU. Which of these coolers would you recommend?

Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler
GELID Solutions Tranquillo CC-TranQ-01-A 120mm Hydro Dynamic CPU Cooler

Or is there a better one in terms of noise/cooling? Has anyone tried either of these?

Hubble128

Re: i7 3770k CPU cooler recommendation

Post by Hubble128 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:49 pm

Well, my 3770K is currently sitting on my workbench waiting to be integrated into my new system. So I can't tell you anything firsthand, but I had a lot of help on this forum with choosing components. The CPU cooler was the last item I purchased, and the advice I got here was great because I had painted myself into a corner by purchasing high-profile RAM. Several of the coolers I was initially looking at would have blocked the first RAM slot.

I don't know if you've picked your RAM yet, but if you're considering chips with larger heat spreaders, then just don't make the same mistake I did - measure everything first and then see if the coolers you're interested in will interfere with your PSU/RAM/case cover.

You can read the discussion on my system here.

. . or I can just give you the bullet points. :) In the end I chose the Prolimatech Armageddon - the slimmest cooler I could find that was close to the top of SPCR's "Recommended" table.

Another one that was recommended to me was the ThermalRight Macho, which has a unique off-center design that causes the HSF assembly to only extend 25mm towards the memory slots.

Have you picked out your other components yet? Do you have more details about your case or motherboard choices?

Also, what is the intended use of the machine - HT, gaming, media work?

ces

Re: i7 3770k CPU cooler recommendation

Post by ces » Fri May 04, 2012 11:45 pm

Generally Good Cooler Brands:
Thermalright
Prolimatech
Noctua (provide free CPU mounts as Intel evolves from CPU to CPU... just remember to keep your receipt)
Scythe

Generally Good CPU Cooler Fans:
Nexus (but maybe not so good for horizontal mounting)
Noctua (but if you want quiet use them at their lowest settings)
Scythe Slipstream - OK if you get them with a Scythe CPU cooler, but maybe not your first choice otherwise
Scythe Gentle Typhoon - has ball bearings... good for horizontal or vertical placement in high impedance applications such as CPU coolers. They are quiet, but some people do not like the nature of their sound signature.