Silverstone SST-HE02 : a new passive CPU cooling contender?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

IanM

Silverstone SST-HE02 : a new passive CPU cooling contender?

Post by IanM » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:55 pm

I believe this CPU heatsink was first seen with the enormous TJ12 Silverstone showed a long while ago, but this the first solid information I've been able to find. Cowcotland have photographed it and given a little info. If you'll excuse the google translated text:
Silverstone back in the radiator! We were waiting forward to it since the confidences of the brand at the CES , and we should not be disappointed. We start with the heavy, very heavy: SST-HE02 . Six heatpipes 6mm with an asymmetrical design, fanless design, and forget the competition. Finally, according to the brand, but we want to believe them, especially the white version of the radiator level impressed us finish with a very special treatment.

original article in French: http://www.cowcotland.com/news/31922/si ... -slim.html

IanM

Re: Silverstone SST-HE02 : a new passive CPU cooling contend

Post by IanM » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:35 pm

More info and photos here: http://www.fanlesstech.com/2012/06/silv ... -he02.html they're reporting a claim of 95W TDP fanless cooling, available "late Q3" priced $70. So this could be in retail some in September, not too long to wait.

SPCR needs to get planning a passive cooler shootout! Silverstone HE02 vs Nofan vs silentmaxx BigBlock vs silentmaxx TwinBlock

bluehat

Post by bluehat » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:02 pm

This looks like a falsely marketed forced convection heatsink.

Natural convection heatsink for 95W TDP would weight 4 Kg and it would be 450mm wide and fins placed 8 mm apart.

IanM

Post by IanM » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:58 am

FanlessTech provided a couple of links to Chinese reviews:
The first review compares the HE02 against the Thermalright HR02 using an i7 2600K @ 4GHz, 1.315V: the HE02 is a little better when relying on case fan ariflow only. After installing an 800rpm on the coolers, the HR02 gains a slight edge. This review also notes the fin configuration:
  • 0.5mm fin thickness
    3.2mm spacing
The second review tests an i7 2600 @ 1.5v, and if I understand the google translation correctly it's also relying on a pair of chassis fans to create some airflow:
  • Test preparation before:
    1: the deterioration of the environment, removed Augusta top of two fans, leaving only the front panel of an air intake fan, IO part efflux fan.
    2: the CPU-power extreme for SNB and IVB platform, air-cooled 1.5V voltage overclocking rare, this article will direct the voltage is set to 1.5V test.
    The measured CPU loaded with 8pin current:
CPU reaches a peak of 91°C after 49mins of LinX.

Seems to be pretty good overall. Now it will be interesting to see how it performs with non overclocked CPUs in cases with only a single low speed fan, and some of the vertical cases with no fans at all.