Prolimatech 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
Scythe 23%  23%  [ 6 ]
Thermalright 42%  42%  [ 11 ]
Zalman 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 26
 Post subject: The Top CPU Heat Sink Brands
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:35 pm 

What do you think are the Top CPU Heat Sink Brands and models.... and why? You get two votes.

Post subject: Re: The Top CPU Heat Sink Brands
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:41 pm 

Promlimatech just makes good solid heat sinks. One disappointment is that while they maintain compatibility charts... they are not as complete and thorough as those of Noctua and Thermalright.
Noctua makes good product as well. I like them because of their policy of providing free mounting kits to their existing customers as new chips are released. They also, in my opinion, have the best, most Thorough compatibility charts.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:27 pm 

I'm very happy with the Prolimatech Megahalems. Very close to the original Scythe Ninja in performance, and with a better mounting system.

Scythe, on the other hand, hasn't IMHO made a really good heat sink since the original Ninja (SCNJ-1000).

i7 2600K CPU@4.4 GHz, Asrock Z68, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 CL9, Intel 335 240GB SSD + Samsung HD502HI 500GB, Internal i7 graphics, Antec P180 case, Seasonic X-400 fanless PS, Megahalems CPU HS, Nexus 3-pin & AC PWM fans ~ 600 RPM, AcoustiPack foam, homemade ducts.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:02 pm 

"Top" in what way? Silent computing, overclocking, popularity?

the best for overclocking won't necessarily be best for quiet computing. There are similarities - large heatsinks and large diameter fans in both cases - but the fans supplied and turbulence from the design itself can make some of the good overclockers very noisy. The most popular brands will vary quite a bit from country to country.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:41 pm 

JJ wrote:
"Top" in what way? Silent computing, overclocking, popularity?.
Any way you want.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:58 am 

There are no top brands, just good or bad products.

The manufacturers have to prove everytime that their product is worth buying, with every product. Some people may be buying stuff because it comes from a certain brand, not because it's the best product available. That's probably why those marketing guys are kept employed :)

So no vote from me today.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:49 am 
*Lifetime Patron*

Haven't been disappointed by a Noctua product or service yet nor know anyone who has. Scythe has made very nice special-purpose and good value models and their fans have been top notch.

Zalman outright fizzled. Thermalright only seem to do big ones, albeit often very efficient; fans vary. Prolimatech is in the same boat as Thermalright, plus I have very limited data on their fans. Cooler Master is a good budget choice but so far that's been it, and the fans haven't been the best.

A subjective poll every now and then is fun.

Extras: Eaton UPS, Dell 24" EIPS, Ducky kb, SteelSeries m, Synology DS213j NAS
idle & load: CPU 32 °C & 44 °C @ 300/600 & 600/800 RPM, GPU 35-65 °C @ 1200-1650 RPM