Noctua DH-14: Stock fan control

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

t1000

Noctua DH-14: Stock fan control

Post by t1000 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:12 pm

Hi there all,

Has anyone out there in SPCR land tried to slow up the Noctua DH-14 stock fans via attaching them to a fan controller or controlling via software ?

I notice that my DH-14 maxes out under 100% CPU load at the low to mid 50c mark.. that leaves a LOT of headway.. I would like to try to slow the fans up yet again to quiet them down at the sacrifice of some slightly higher temps. Anyone tried something similar ?

Chris

graysky

Re: Noctua DH-14: Stock fan control

Post by graysky » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:10 am

What you're asking for here is trivial under Linux using fancontrol. See, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fan_control

Fat Bunny

Post by Fat Bunny » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:51 am

Have mine hooked up to SpeedFan based on the excellent tutorial on this site. Running basically 40% at idle and then ramping up.
response.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

crashed

Post by crashed » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:42 am

These options would only work if your motherboard supports voltage control on CPU fans, because NH-D14 comes with regular non-PWM fans. You could try using the resistor cables that come with it. And the fan controller is not an easy option either, most motherboards don't boot if you don't have an operational fan connected to the CPU fan header.

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:26 pm

crashed wrote:most motherboards don't boot if you don't have an operational fan connected to the CPU fan header.
In my experience, Gigabyte boards are the least fussy when it comes to using fan headers.

With Asus boards, you should be able to disable the CPU fan alarm in the UEFI, although I didn't have any success doing this with my P8Z68-V -- the CPU fan alarm still pops up and prevents the system from booting. :( To get around this, I simply connected one fan to the CPU fan header, with a resistor to lower the fan speed. And then used the CHA_FAN headers to control the other fans. With Asus boards, the CPU fan header can only control 4-pin PWM fans, while the other headers can control both 3-pin voltage and 4-pin PWM fans.