Fixing Ivy Bridge high CPU temps: IHS removal video

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

WhiteFireDragon

Fixing Ivy Bridge high CPU temps: IHS removal video

Post by WhiteFireDragon » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:15 pm

Hi guys, I just removed the IHS off my IB processor and thought I'd share this "tutorial" video and results.

I got a huge 40°C lower on one of the cores . If I average temps from all cores before and after the mod, then it's 79.25°C before IHS removal, and 59°C after IHS removal. That's still 20°C difference, which is quite amazing. I just got a really bad chip out of the box. It couldn't even run stock voltages because one of the cores hits over 100°C. After undervolting to 1.07v @ 4ghz OC, one of the cores still hit 98°C, so this mod was pretty much required for me to get good temps.

This reduces CPU temps better than any CPU coolers our there :D. I now run at 4.5ghz using a HR-02 with only a single 800rpm fan. A must do mod for any silent enthusiasts with Ivy Bridge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXs0I5kuoX4

sschnee

Re: Fixing Ivy Bridge high CPU temps: IHS removal video

Post by sschnee » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:43 pm

It seemed difficult to keep the IHS in place while you were pressing down on the lever. Was it secure when you were done?

Esben

Post by Esben » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:10 am

Thank you for doing the video and sharing it! It's very generous of you to put such a big effort and time into showing how to fix the Ivy Bridge IHS. I'm amazed by the difference you have recorded, 98 degrees is an extreme temperature at 4 GHz.
Do you know if this would also make a difference on Sandy Bridge CPU's?

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:38 am

Esben wrote: Do you know if this would also make a difference on Sandy Bridge CPU's?
No, Sandy Bridge caps are soldered to the chip. At best thermal paste reaches 1/15 of that efficiency.

Esben

Post by Esben » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:25 am

Fire-Flare wrote:No, Sandy Bridge caps are soldered to the chip. At best thermal paste reaches 1/15 of that efficiency.
Thank you, that saved me a lot of time and effort!

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:26 am

Esben wrote:
Fire-Flare wrote:No, Sandy Bridge caps are soldered to the chip. At best thermal paste reaches 1/15 of that efficiency.
Thank you, that saved me a lot of time and effort!
The next best thing may be Coollaboratory's solder-like product for coolers/heatsinks, but it's a pain in the butt to apply.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5509/ ... 01249.html

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:32 am

It will be interesting to see what route takes intel with haswell getting all this heat about ivy bridge poor thermalmal paste. Personally i like more the old style without the cap on.

Btw you said all your good thermals were already used, what do you consider the best? indiglo? Shin Itsu?

WhiteFireDragon

Post by WhiteFireDragon » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:41 pm

sschnee wrote:It seemed difficult to keep the IHS in place while you were pressing down on the lever. Was it secure when you were done?
I wouldn't say it's too difficult, but does take a pretty sturdy hand. I was doing it backwards so the webcam could face it, and also I was putting pressure down on it while trying to close down the bracket. The new thermal paste was "mooshy" so it slid around a bit, but I guess that's a good thing to know it had good contact. It was very secure when I'm done, once the brackets are locked, the IHS can't be moved.

WhiteFireDragon

Post by WhiteFireDragon » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:44 pm

Esben wrote:Thank you for doing the video and sharing it! It's very generous of you to put such a big effort and time into showing how to fix the Ivy Bridge IHS. I'm amazed by the difference you have recorded, 98 degrees is an extreme temperature at 4 GHz.
Do you know if this would also make a difference on Sandy Bridge CPU's?
I mentioned this in the video and also the description, but do NOT do this to sandy bridge chips. The die and IHS are soldered, so if you want to get to the die, you'll have to file down the IHS slowly until you reach it. Not very practical, and very high chance you might shave a bit of the die when you reach it.

WhiteFireDragon

Post by WhiteFireDragon » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:48 pm

Abula wrote:Btw you said all your good thermals were already used, what do you consider the best? indiglo? Shin Itsu?
I use to have some shin-etsu and CL liquid metal ultra last year, but used all that up. CL only gives very little of the liquid metal in the syringe, only about 0.15g (not even a gram!). I was going to use the 24 carat IC diamond, but it scratches the laser etching on the other CPU's and GPU's, so I did not want the bare die to get scratched. Better to be safe than get a degree or two difference from mx-2 that I used.

PS- does this forum have the option for multi quote or some other quick method to reply to everyone in one post?

gabedamien

Post by gabedamien » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:35 am

WhiteFireDragon wrote:PS- does this forum have the option for multi quote or some other quick method to reply to everyone in one post?
What do you mean? Forums using BBCode can have multiple quotes in them by manually writing in quote tags:

Code: Select all

[quote="dude #1"]This is a quote by dude number one[/quote]
The above code will give you the following result:
dude #1 wrote:This is a quote by dude number one
If you wanted to quote a bunch of people, you can scroll up through the thread (it shows you the thread below the composition window while drafting your reply) and copy-paste to individual quote blocks:
WhiteFireDragon wrote:I wouldn't say it's too difficult...
WhiteFireDragon wrote:Hi guys, I just removed the IHS...
Etc.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:42 am

OP, please report back in a few weeks or months if your temps get higher, similar to the ones with the Intel thermal insulator material.
According to various posts from people who delidded some time ago, that's what happens, it's only a matter of time.
I still wait to read about a quality TIM that can be used on the Ivy die and will get stable results for years. :sad:

WhiteFireDragon

Post by WhiteFireDragon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:00 pm

Ok I've been running this for a few months, it's roughly half a degree higher than when I first applied the paste, which is well within margin of error. Ambient temps are the same.

Matt3o

Post by Matt3o » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:11 am

you might find this useful http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.ph ... tcount=570

tl;dr:
Conclusion: The Intel stock CPU TIM is not the reason Ivy Bridge's run hot, and replacing the Intel stock CPU TIM is not the reason a delidded Ivy Bridge runs so much cooler - the benefits of delidding are entirely due to the resultant reduction in gap height between the CPU silicon die and the underside of the IHS.