GE's dual piezoelectric cooling jets

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CA_Steve

GE's dual piezoelectric cooling jets

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:58 pm

Short video embedded in the first link. Tech uses two ceramic piezo plates that act in tandem like a bellows. GE claims similar performance to fans with half the power, only 4mm thick, and very quiet. In the video, they replaced a laptop blower fan with this device.

http://www.gereports.com/here-come-the-cool-jets/

http://www.genewscenter.com/Press-Relea ... -3cf6.aspx

JazzJackRabbit

Re: GE's dual piezoelectric cooling jets

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:14 pm

CA_Steve wrote:GE claims similar performance to fans with half the power, only 4mm thick, and very quiet.
I know they supposedly did a demo on a laptop, but I'll believe it works when I see it with my own eyes. This new technology is just a new fancy way to move air through the heatsink. You still need heat exchange area such as heatsink fins to cool effectively, otherwise you're just blowing air on a bare CPU die which is very very inefficient. With only 4mm to work with, there is very little heat dissipation area, so I really can't see it being twice as good as traditional fans.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:18 pm

It's just a fan blower replacement in the demo - not a cooler replacement. So, it used the existing heat pipes/CPU block.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:12 pm

I'm pretty sceptical, but at least we wont hear any bearing noises.

Let's wait for the first real product to be issued with these "fans". Then we'll talk again.

mercyfull_fate

Post by mercyfull_fate » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:22 am

if i understand the video right it isn't a real replacement for fans but only a localised alternative for fans as the in and outtake apears to be on the same side. it would apear more usefull to me if in and out take are on oposite sides....