Zalman CNPS 5x Performa question

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kevin1981

Zalman CNPS 5x Performa question

Post by kevin1981 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:17 am

Hi!

I'm slowly tackling my new setup's noise hot spots one at a time, and just replaced the old videocards which should be audibly refreshing.
One of the next points on the list is my stock Intel HSF on a Xeon E3-1240v2 (roughly equivalent to a stock ivy i7 in terms of heat and power) and i don't concern myself with the hassle of overclocking.

At the moment, the Intel fan seems to be consistently running at 100%, and my temps are hovering around 35C and hits upwards of 65C on load. That's actually a little surprising as I upgraded from an old steady socket 939 Athlon 64 x2 4800 and some Ultra cooler (suspiciously looking like a re-branded Zalman CNPS8900 circa 2009) with 20C idle nd 45C load.

I noticed the Zalman was on sale at NCIX this week for about 7$ after MIR.
Now, although it was reviewed by SPCR, it was done so with an Athlon CPU.

For the price, is it a worthy replacement for my Intel HSF or should I go with something a little beefier (say a CM 212)?
I'm worried that the voltage to the fan would have to be high enough to be tangibly audible.

Another option is just give myself a month and get a small Noctua.

Pappnaas

Re: Zalman CNPS 5x Performa question

Post by Pappnaas » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:09 pm

The Performa is as loud as it comes. Even if you PAY me 100$ i wouldn't take it and use it in my stuff.