Xigmatek ack-u01 Compatability

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Xigmatek ack-u01 Compatability

Post by andyb » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:14 pm

This product clearly states in the link below that it is NOT compatible with the "DARK KNIGHT SD1283,
GAIA SD1283, and LOKI SD963".

http://www.xigmatek.com/product.php?pro ... pplication

I have the "original" HDT-S1283 heatsink as reviewed below.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article818-page1.html

I have read every bit of documentation for this product and nowhere does it have a "compatibility" list, it just casually mentions 4 heatsinks that are not compatible, two of those heatsinks are very similar.

What I dont want is to buy this product and not be able to use it on my new Socket 1155 system, and I dont want to sell it and buy another heatsink as this is a great product and total overkill for my new i5 3570K that I will be overclocking.

If I cant find an accurate answer I will have to sell this heatsink and get a new one that is S1155 compatible.

Andy

doveman

Re: Xigmatek ack-u01 Compatability

Post by doveman » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:39 am

Yeah, I'm trying to find out if it will fit my HDT-D1284 as well. E-mailed their various offices several times over the last few days but no reply yet.

EDIT: They've confirmed it is now, excellent news.

EDIT2: Man, doesn't anything work these days! The holes on the mounting clips are too close together by a matter of mm, so it's impossible to align both holes with the screws attached to the backplate :evil: The instructions supplied were completely wrong as well, showing a "cushion" mounted on the CPU side of the motherboard but I found some correct instructions on their website at least
http://www.xigmatek.com/console/uploadf ... manual.pdf

It's a bit weird that the instructions, in picture 6, show that the inner slotted holes on the AMD mounting clips should be used as these are majorly too close together to line up with the screws. The outer holes are close but as I say, out by a few mms which is enough to prevent them lining up with the screws.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:05 pm

Having Dark Knight II coolers makes me really wonder why they're listed as incompatible, because that mounting kit looks damn near like what it shipped with and uses.

Depending on those two little nubs on the bottom of the cross bar, i could see earlier versions of heatsinks not lining up correctly, but going by doveman, if the kit isn't really made correctly and doesn't line up, that surpasses the kit being incompatible with just four.

Now, there are some options, like being extra creative with how you use the mounting kit, maybe flipping the cross bar over, something like that, but that's for someone else to test with, I'm not taking my system apart at this point. It's entirely possible that it's just a poor translation and that the kit isn't necessary for those heatsinks due to what they ship with, but that's a long shot in the dark.

doveman

Post by doveman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:27 pm

As long as the heatsink as a hole near each end for the tabs on the crossbar to fit into, I can't see why it wouldn't work.

The problem with mine is not that it doesn't line up with the heatsink but that the mounting kit clips don't fit over the mounting kit backplate screws. After trying to persuade me that I just needed to bend the clip or screw a bit, I think I managed to get across to Xigmatek tech support that there was no way it was going to bend that far without warping or breaking and they've said they'll send me another one, so I'll see if that's OK when it arrives but it could be a while I guess.

doveman

Post by doveman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:57 pm

Well fairplay to Xigmatek, after they accepted that I couldn't possibly bend the thing to get it to go together, they sent me a replacement from Taiwan free of charge. It was the backplate that had the holes in the wrong place, as the replacement clips didn't fit onto the original backplate either but both set of clips slip onto the new backplate no problem.

I do rather dislike these sort of mounting mechanisms (but I think every decent mount has the same problem) as it takes forever tightening the final two screws/nuts as they're under the heatsink fins and so it was a slow process using the supplied spanner and obviously taking it off to check the TIM spread would be equally tedious, so I'm not going to do that. I tried to fill the channels on the heatsink base like in the last picture here http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?o ... mitstart=5 but it wasn't very easy with MX-2 to get it just in the channels so it ended up spread all over the base too. Checking the spread by just resting the heatsink on the CPU without tightening the two nuts showed it wasn't really making contact with the top third of the CPU, although hopefully that will change once it's fully tightened, so I tried to spread a thin layer of MX-2 on the CPU too but again MX-2 doesn't spread very well and was sticking to the plastic money bag I was spreading it with and coming off. I managed to do a reasonable job in the end I think but then the MX-2 ran out and I still had a corner that wasn't very well covered, so stuck a blob of Arctic Silver there to cover it.

I guess the temps will show whether I've done a good enough job or not and if not I'll just have to take it off and start again!