NoFan CR-95C Copper Fanless CPU Cooler Opinions?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

laststop

NoFan CR-95C Copper Fanless CPU Cooler Opinions?

Post by laststop » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:01 pm

This heatsink is freaking massive and copper even for all the fins not just the heat pipes. You do lose 1 pci-e slot (the 1x slot on the top) you have to use low profile ram and have a bit of space over the top of the mobo too. It requires 180mm of clearance so it won't work for a lot of cases. The nanoxia deep silence 1 can accommodate up to 185mm of clearance so it could potentially fit. But I'm only using the 2x 120mm intake fans and the 1x 140mm exhaust fan. I am removing the extra drive cages to give me more cold air intake that is unobstructed and the seasonic x660 becomes another exhaust when the load gets high. I can add another intake on the bottom or the side but I'll have to experiment.

It seems like a cool idea and with an undervolted haswell chip at stock it's well below the 95 watt tdp limit of the cooler. But wouldn't the noctua nh-U14s with the LNA adapter on the fan be pretty much dead silent itself and weigh a lot less and take up much less room leading to better circulation. Basically what I'm saying is, Is the noise from the noctua fan with the LNA adapter installed loud enough to even warrant trying this fanless cooler. It was my impression that the 140mm noctua fan with the adapter is unable to be heard over ambient noise.

Copper conducts heat better than almost everything else (i think silver beats it but thats it). I know there's no company crazy enough to make a solid silver heatsink, they won't even make the heatpipes silver, but copper if this company can make a large heatsink out of copper there has to be other more traditional heatsinks that use copper for the heatpipes and copper for all the fins. Anyone know of any full copper (contact surface, heatpipes, and fins) standard 120mm or 140mm heatsink. Like a noctua nh-u14s style cooler but totally copper?

So I did some searching and found the Scythe Ninja Copper edition. Full copper heatsink with 120mm fan support. It's discontinued but they pop up on ebay time to time and I see an ad for 1 in craigslist for 40 dollars.

edh

Re: NoFan CR-95C Copper Fanless CPU Cooler Opinions?

Post by edh » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:25 am

I wouldn't bother with the Copper Ninja. It is discontinued as you say and the Copper vs. Aluminium argument isn't actually that convincing. Copper is very good for making the base of the cooler and the heatpipes but beyond that it's largely wasted. The Noctua or similar high end air cooler fitted with a quiet fan makes better sense than the NoFan I would have to say.