Phanteks PH-TC14PE cooler performance?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

trodas

Phanteks PH-TC14PE cooler performance?

Post by trodas » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:08 am

I wonder, if is there anything comparable to the two years old now Phanteks PH-TC14PE cooler, that seems surpass pretty much anything that is out there:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Phan ... 4PE/6.html

BUT with the airflow directed on the mainboard like this:

or this:

I was impressed when it blow the Noctua NH-C14 away: 60°C compared to 81°C - whoa!
(sadly, there is no Thermalright heatsinks in the test to compare...)

Abula

Re: Phanteks PH-TC14PE cooler performance?

Post by Abula » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:22 am

trodas wrote:I wonder, if is there anything comparable to the two years old now Phanteks PH-TC14PE cooler, that seems surpass pretty much anything that is out there:
All twin tower coolers are very close in temps, but they are expensive, most are between $80 to 100, and to me they dont justify their high price / performance ratios, there are better value coolers out there that if you are aiming for a quiet setup imo are better, like Thermalright HR-02 Macho Quiet/Fanless Cooler Macho or Scythe Mugen 4 CPU Cooler: Scythe Strikes Back, unless you goal is to OC. Most of the twin tower coolers have been reviewed by SPCR, ill leave you the links and some personal comments on each.

Noctua NH-D14 flagship dual-fan CPU cooler
The first that i know that went with twin tower, still today is very competitive, the only downside it has is that it still being sold with 3pin fans, the LGA2011 version comes with PWM fans but you do need to buy an extra bracket if you are going with none LGA2011 setup. Noctua has been working on a revisions that was shown on Computex with twin Noctua NF-A15 PWM, check this video, Noctua Black Fans, Active Noise Canceling Heatsink - Computex 2013 there are rumors that might be out before years end, but might be next years...

Thermalright Silver Arrow Dual 14cm Fan Cooler
This is the second twin tower that hit the market (at least from what i remember), there is a nice video that compares it with the Noctua, Thermalright Silver Arrow vs. Noctua NH-D14 with Overview. Since then Thermalright has revise it, todays versions is the SBE and SBE Extreme, it now has 8 pipes (lower diameter) and slightly different design, the SBE comes with TY141 + TY150 (huge fan) and Exterme with TY143. To me this is the best cooler atm, specially because it comes with PWM fans, and i doubt any of the twin tower could match the cooling of the SBE Extreme with the TY143 fans, they ramp up to 2500rpm, but this at the expense of noise, but still is a nice option since the fan can be drop down to 600rpm, so you have a very wide range of operation, i just dont dig the red/orange.

Prolimtech Genesis CPU Heatsink: Retaking the Crown
This is probably the most different twin tower cooler of all, and probably more in line with what you are looking, as one of the towers is sideways and will help somewhat to cool the motherboard components. Its performance is very good, but its probably the most expensive of all considering it doesn't come with fans.

Phanteks PH-TC14PE Dual Fan CPU Heatsink
This is probably the newest of all, its very similar to Noctuas, they have different fans, and some of them were very good. The good that i see on this is for someone matching their theme of their build, as you can get them in red, black, blue, etc.
trodas wrote:BUT with the airflow directed on the mainboard like this
I would go with the Genesis, it will give you the performance of a twin tower and will still have a semi hybrid orientation with one of the towers aiming to the the motherboard. You might be able to do double pull push with the Prolimatech Vortex 140 slim fans, really good from when i tested, good range of operation 500-1000rpm.