It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Our Lapped CPU Heatsink Test Platform
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:43 am 
Site Admin

kevith wrote:
Yeah, kind of like that. If two surfaces has to fit each other real tight, that´s the way to go.

Regarding practicality, it probably isn´t... :-) Both parts would have to be fixated - unless you have a very steady hand - as you polish, which requires some thinking and tinkering, and when you´re finished, these two parts will be forever "married until death do them part".

But if you actually succeeded, I think it might give an extra degree or two. The ideal scenario is the two surfaces fitting so snugly together, that they don´t need no TIM. That´s impossible in the real world, where we pay for things with real money, though, but a polish like this might get us a little closer.

A simpler way to achieve the same -- or even better -- cooling performance would be to delid the CPU and use a flat or lapped base heatsink. You'd need to make sure the heatsink mounting is done in an even, consistent way to avoid crushing edges or corners of the exposed die, but that die surface is mirror flat. Most of the good through-the-board bolt mounting systems would be fine for this. Of course, this is easiest done with CPUs where the IHS is not soldered but TIM-ed, tho it's possible to do with the former if you heat it up nicely with a hair dryer or heat gun and are willing to clean up the solder gunk underneath. (There's probably standard solutions for solder cleanup.)

But having said all that, unless you're oc'ing to the bleeding edge & need every cooling advantage, I really don't see the need for users to go to such trouble. The best heatsinks around (either convex or flat base) are perfectly capable of cooling the hottest CPUs, especially if super low noise is not a high priority.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:49 am 

Quote:
A simpler way to achieve the same -- or even better -- cooling performance would be to delid the CPU and use a flat or lapped base heatsink. You'd need to make sure the heatsink mounting is done in an even, consistent way to avoid crushing edges or corners of the exposed die, but that die surface is mirror flat. Most of the good through-the-board bolt mounting systems would be fine for this. Of course, this is easiest done with CPUs where the IHS is not soldered but TIM-ed, tho it's possible to do with the former if you heat it up nicely with a hair dryer or heat gun and are willing to clean up the solder gunk underneath. (There's probably standard solutions for solder cleanup.)

Wow, that´s hardcore :) The cooler directly on the die, yeah! I have seen videos of guys delidding a soldered CPU, it´s not something I would do, but done with care it works fine. You can buy solder-cleanup-flatwire for the purpose, put a strip over the solder, heat it with the iron, and it sucks up a portion of solder. Cut the dirty end off the wire and repeat til it´s all gone.

Quote:
But having said all that, unless you're oc'ing to the bleeding edge & need every cooling advantage, I really don't see the need for users to go to such trouble. The best heatsinks around (either convex or flat base) are perfectly capable of cooling the hottest CPUs, especially if super low noise is not a high priority.

I couldn´t agree more, I´m much more in to quiet computing than anything else, please accept my compliment you on your dedication and great site.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:40 am 
*Lifetime Patron*

We could install coolers on our Thunderbirds without IHS or incident, we can do it again no sweat. 8)

(just have to be veeeeery veeeery careful, and suddenly dosage is going to matter a lot again)

Extras: Eaton UPS, Dell 24" EIPS, Ducky TKL, SteelSeries Sensei Raw, Synology DS213j 6 TB NAS
idle-load: CPU 32-44 °C @ 300/600-600/800 RPM, GPU 35-65 °C @ 1200-1650 RPM