CPU cooler recommendations wanted

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jatismara

CPU cooler recommendations wanted

Post by Jatismara » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:16 pm

Would like to hear opinions as to the very best CPU cooler for Phenom X4 9850, that will for sure easily fit into any full size tower. Of course, I'd like it to be quiet as possible too.

Abula

Re: CPU cooler recommendations wanted

Post by Abula » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:37 pm

If you looking for good value, performance and quiet operation, then look into Thermalright HR02 Macho and Scythe Mugen 4.

Jatismara

Post by Jatismara » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:01 pm

Abula wrote:If you looking for good value, performance and quiet operation, then look into Thermalright HR02 Macho and Scythe Mugen 4.
The Thermalright looks to be as gargantuan as the three I was considering:
Noctua NH-D14
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Zalman CNPS10X
I found complaints on all three either not fitting a full-size tower case, or overcrowding other components, or impeding air flow, so size is definitely a concern. The Scythe Mugen looks to be more reasonable in size. At the moment, I think its a tie between Scythe Mugen and the GELID Solutions CC-BEdition-01-A 120mm. Which do you prefer?

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:49 pm

Out of the two i would go with the Mugen 4, it was reviewed by SPCR Scythe Mugen 4 CPU Cooler: Scythe Strikes Back and got the editors choice. I own a mugen 3 and been great, really a good cooler, the included fan is pretty decent and can be drop down 450rpms for very quiet idle operation, it can be ramp up depending on the condition of your CPU. The only complaint that i had from mugen3 was the mounting, but from what i can see on the review, they change it so its not as hard as the previous gens, so this would be my pick.

washu

Post by washu » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:04 pm

I'll throw in a vote for the Mugen 4 as well. I recently upgraded from a Mugen 2 to the 4 and it is excellent. The Mugen 2 has served me well over the last few years and several builds, but the smaller size and slightly better performance of the 4 was worth it to me. I have a Sycthe cooler in every self built PC I own and they have never disappointed.