Ducting an sk-7.

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DryFire

Ducting an sk-7.

Post by DryFire » Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:10 pm

I was looking at my sk-7 today and the motor of the fan seems to be covering up allot of area on the heatsink. Also most of the air flow seems to be lost on the edges of the hs where teh fan blades extend over the hs).

I was thinking why not make a duct, not to make the fan bigger but to have all the air flow hitting the hs. (make it fit a 92mm fan would be possible to but i don't plan on trying it just yet).

Now for some questions.

What material should i use?
(i was planning on using cardboard, i might reinforce it with popsicle sticks, my little sis is into arts and crafts.)

How should i attach it to the HS?
(I was thinking duct tape but could that be a bit too strong?)

How about to the fan?
(again duct tape)

Any other comments are welcome.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:49 pm

Cardboard would be fine. I'd actually recommend something more like bristol (poster) board than the brown corrugated stuff.

I would avoid duct tape. It leaves a nasty film that you'll never get off, and it will eventually lose its stickyness. Try to find a mechanical way to connect the pieces together. It'll take alittle creativity, but will work out better in the long run.

Cruise through the gallery pages for some inspiration. Also read Bluefront's very cool article about ducting his lanboy.

Oh, and read my article too! It's got a ducted Zalman flower. Rusty's Quiet In-Desk PC

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:31 am

I rad both articles, it's not exactly what i was aiming for but i think it would be better to eliminate the extra cpu fan.

I guess it's back to the drawing board.

edit: i was thinking why not duct it to both my exaust fans. or would that leave too much hot ar in my system?

Keel

Post by Keel » Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:38 am

dryfire...you just want a duct to concentrate the air right?

bolting an empty fan frame between the heatsink and the fan might do the trick...but i don't think this will work too well with a low flow fan though

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:13 pm

no i;m trying to get all the air to hit the sink an 80 mm fan is actually bigger then the sink.