Had 3x H100i - Are all AIO this noisy?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Seketh

Had 3x H100i - Are all AIO this noisy?

Post by Seketh » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:34 am

My first thread, but no my main one, will make another one later. :D Just wanted to ask you guys this.

(This got a little bigger than expected: TL;DR: Vibration hum, do all AIO make it?)

So, I researched a lot before buying the H100i. Long story short, pretty much all reviews are full of crap when it comes to noise, the fans are just laughable for 100€ CPU cooling. I'm not even talking about the full RPM, I'm talking about low RPM, they rattle and are very noisy at 600RPM.

But what really got to me was the pump noise, which I figured out to actually be vibration. As long as the pump is touching any surface (even outside the case), you get an annoying "bzzz" or "humm" which really annoyed me, especially since the loudest thing on my system was my WD Caviar Blue.

Instant RMA on my original pump. Got my second, exactly the same noise. Tried to clear it up on the Corsair forums, tried to clear it up with Corsair Support: "Is this sound normal?" Never got a clear answer. Pretty much the closest one I got was "The pump produces a little hum, but it shouldn't be audible over the fans even at their lowest rpm".

So I agreed in a third unit. This one was actually quieter, but still that hum. Couldn't have my PC on while I was in bed, it was so annoying, so I asked for a refund. Have to say that Corsair support was pretty awesome, never had any issue.

But I tried this question on a few forums, even on that has a "Corsair Hydro Club" and they all claim that the pumps can't be heard, to do firmware updates and to buy new fans ( :roll:).

So now I found these forums, full of people who really care about silence. So, are all pumps the noisy? Maybe the new generation, with variable pump speeds (like the new ones from swiftech, actually fix this? I have to say that it's really getting to me that no one on the internet seems to acknowledge that the H100i is very noisy.

Meanwhile, I'm going for air. I've now ordered a Scythe Kotetsu, since people loved it here (35€ with shipping, quite cheap). Hope I won't regret it!

Abula

Re: Had 3x H100i - Are all AIO this noisy?

Post by Abula » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:16 pm

Most here dont go for AIOs, they are fine for the average user, but not for someone looking for quiet setups. Although i might try the NZXT at some point, maybe in someone else build... the only that i seen gotten a silver award by SPCR, NZXT Kraken X61 28cm Liquid Cooler. As long as your OCing needs aren't that high, you should be happy with the Kotetsu.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:13 pm

Seketh wrote:So, are all pumps the noisy?

It depends: anyway, broadly speaking, custom-loop pumps (I mean, the not integrated ones) seem better.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:21 pm

why use water, when there are so many cheaper/quieter/simpler solutions available?