Scythe + Skylake WARNING

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ken5d

Scythe + Skylake WARNING

Post by Ken5d » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:21 am

[mod: Moved to the CPU Cooling forum]

I hadn't read this anywhere else, but luckily did read it before constructing my Skylake build with my new Kotetsu cooler.

In another thread on SPCR, boost wrote:
boost wrote:Be careful with Scythe coolers and Skylake! Scythe is replacing their mounting hardware fot Socket 1151. The current version can put too much pressure in the CPU and damage it. The Ninja 4 is still a good cooler. If you get it, you should contact Scythe asap and they will send you a new set of screws for Socket 1151 installation. The reason is, the PCB of Skylake CPUs is much thinner than previos generations: 0.78mm compared to 1.12mm.
I contacted Scythe, and as boost said above, they will ship me the new screws once they get them (they are expecting them soon). In the meantime:

Until you will receive the screws, you can reduce the contact pressure, when you unscrew both screws (number 4 in the installation instructions) for the mounting bar (number 3 in the installation instructions) one rotation.

I assume that simply the new screws are shorter, and so don't allow us to tighten them as much. Not a huge deal, as long as you are aware of the situation.

Ken

lodestar

Re: Scythe + Skylake WARNING

Post by lodestar » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:47 am

This is what the Scythe, Europe web site says:

"...Japanese cooling expert Scythe announces a change of the mounting system for Skylake / Socket 1151 on several coolers of its portfolio. All coolers are compatible with Skylake sockets in general, but bear the possibility of damage to CPU and motherboard in some cases where the PC is exposed to strong shocks (e.g. during shipping or relocation). This problem particularly involves only coolers which will mounted with the H.P.M.S. mounting system*. To prevent this, the mounting pressure has been reduced by an adjustment of the screw set. Of course, Scythe is going to ship a the new set of screws to every customer completely free of charge! To apply for the free screw set, please send your request via e-mail to [email protected] or use the contact form on our website.

*Following coolers use this mounting system:
Ashura, Mugen 4, Mugen 4 PCGH-Edition, Fuma, Ninja 4, Grand Kama Cross 3,
Mugen Max & Kotetsu..."

edh

Post by edh » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:10 pm

So basically don't tighten the screws up like mad. Same with everything. You don't need the new screws it's just that the new screws inherently stop you from overtightening. I'm managing just fine with the existing screws and didn't do them right up anyway as there is always a difference in feel between sufficient pressure and overtightened. Scythe's own info says to loosen them off one turn to prevent damage which is the same thing. If you already have one of the effected coolers on Skylake, I wouldn't bother changing the screws just for this alone, it's only the same effect as loosing off one turn.

It is good however that Scythe release this info to try and prevent crazy people from breaking stuff.

Ken5d

Post by Ken5d » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:04 pm

[mod: Moved to the CPU Cooling forum]
Thanks, Mod. Don't know what I was thinking (obviously I wasn't thinking!).

mmolignano

Post by mmolignano » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:29 am

I was told by scythe that additional testing has ruled out many of these coolers. This is the response I received from them today:

"The newest intern test of our development department showed that only the Mugen 4, Mugen 4 PCGH-Edition and the Mugen Max be affected by the Skylake issue. All other of our coolers are not be affected by the Skylake issue and works very well with it. For this cooler is no additional screw set needed."

It looks like their website has been updated to reflect this too.

Ken5d

Post by Ken5d » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:43 am

Thanks! I just received a similar message from Scythe. That's good news for most everyone, I think.

Killing joke

Post by Killing joke » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:04 pm

Well, what I got was:

"We received the new screw sets and will be send to you as soon as possible. Please fasten the screws evenly and always alternating until the end of the thread. Use these screws only for Skylake systems."

I told them that I have Mugen 4 and i7-6700K.