CPU Colling for around the $80 mark?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rubberhose

CPU Colling for around the $80 mark?

Post by rubberhose » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:22 am

I'm looking for a CPU cooling unit that's around the $80 mark, or at least under $100. Just wondering what the best options are considering performance vs. value for money. The two I've found that are around about the amount I was looking to spend, are the Dark Rock Pro 3 & the Noctua NH-D15. It looks like the Noctua is coming in a little more expensive but there isn't too much in it. The Dark Rock looks a little meaner and more bulky. In truth is there anything in it or is it definitely worth going for one over the other? This is my first full build so I'm a little in the darker, particularly with this area of the build. Are the any recommendations other than these? Should I go cheaper or more expensive? Apologies if these are dumb questions, just want to make sure I'm spending what I need to. Good point actually, if there's any ideas floating around on a good place to shop too for my computer parts. I've found a site where you can buy cheap electronics which might be worth a look.

I'm going to be after a SSD drive too but i'll create another thread on that if I can't find what I'm looking for in that section.

Thanks in advance.

Freddie
Noctua NH-D15.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rubberhose on Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lodestar

Re: CPU Colling for around the $80 mark?

Post by lodestar » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:03 am

The Noctua NH-D15 has been reviewed by SPCR as also has the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3. The performance figures give the edge to the NH-D15, particularly at lower fan speeds. It is a matter of opinion but I prefer the Noctua mounting system to the one used by Be Quiet!.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:21 am

rubberhose wrote:Are the any recommendations other than these? Should I go cheaper or more expensive?
Which the CPU is?

edh

Post by edh » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:23 am

Scythe Ninja 4? Only downside is the fan isn't their best effort. At least with Noctua you get a Noctua fan to start off with rather than having to buy one separately.

For what CPU? If you're running some Core i7/Xeon CPU with many, many Watts of TDP then this may be a worthwhile investment. If it's only for a Celeron then something cheaper perhaps?

May be worth considering the rest of your system and the possible size and air flow requirements.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:27 pm

Personally i think the Scythe Ninja4 and Thermalright Macho RevB are better buys, around $50 gives you very close performance to twin towers.

In case you are still into Noctua, An interesting video from hardware \canuks was just released, Noctua's CPU Coolers - A Serious Case of AIO Regret?.

rubberhose

Post by rubberhose » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:18 pm

Thanks guys, that's amazing! Lot's to check out. I'm sure I can make a decision from the feedback given.

Freddie