Megahalems Replacement Fan

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

wastehero2

Megahalems Replacement Fan

Post by wastehero2 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Greetings, SCPR community.

Was hoping to get some assistance in selecting a replacement fan for my megahalems. I currently have a Noiseblocker M12-P on it, which you can imagine at 1000 rpm minimum is quite noticeable.

My only criteria are that it's under $15 or under and that the performance is good (obviously quiet as well). Looks do not matter to me (it will be inside an Define R5).

I was originally looking at the Scythe Slipstream 120mm PWM (SY1225SL12LM-P) but I wasn't sure if it was a good heatsink fan or if there are better alternatives out there?

P.S. Wasn't sure where to post it in this section or the fans section

Abula

Re: Megahalems Replacement Fan

Post by Abula » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:45 am

wastehero2 wrote:Was hoping to get some assistance in selecting a replacement fan for my megahalems. I currently have a Noiseblocker M12-P on it, which you can imagine at 1000 rpm minimum is quite noticeable.
what motherboard are you using? The fan should drop a little lower, the problem is it starts at 0% pwm.
wastehero2 wrote:My only criteria are that it's under $15 or under and that the performance is good (obviously quiet as well). Looks do not matter to me (it will be inside an Define R5).

I was originally looking at the Scythe Slipstream 120mm PWM (SY1225SL12LM-P) but I wasn't sure if it was a good heatsink fan or if there are better alternatives out there?
under 15 I don't think you will find a ton of options, personally I never seen the slipstream as heatsink fan, more like a case fan, toe scythe had better CPU fans like gentle typhoid and Kama flex. That said scythe uses slipstream and now glidestream fans on all their 120mm heatsinks, they should know as they design them.

As an alternative, megahalems can fit 140mm fans with 120mm frame, but not with the factory clips, they sell additional clips, if you go this route then some decent pwm fans might work, like noctua nf-p14r redux pwm (usually around $15) and thermalright ty147 (usually around $17)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:15 am

wastehero2 wrote:My only criteria are that it's under $15 or under and that the performance is good (obviously quiet as well). Looks do not matter to me (it will be inside an Define R5).
  1. Noctua NA-SRC7
  2. Scythe GlideStream 120mm PWM SC
  3. Scythe GlideStream 120mm PWM SY1225HB12M-P
  4. Scythe Slip Stream 120 PWM SY1225SL12LM-P
  5. Noctua NF-P14r redux-1500 PWM
  6. Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM
  7. Deepcool Gamerstorm TF120 Blue
  8. Deepcool Gamerstorm GF140 Red (it may be noticeably clicky)
  9. Fractal Design Venturi HP-12 PWM
  10. NZXT FX V2 140mm
  11. Thermalright TY-147A
  12. Fractal Design Venturi HP-14 PWM
  13. Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-PS

I didn't strictly follow your criteria.
I used Amazon just because I was there, you may look for them anywhere.
My preferences go probably to #1 and #11.

wastehero2 wrote:was originally looking at the Scythe Slipstream 120mm PWM (SY1225SL12LM-P) but I wasn't sure if it was a good heatsink fan
Yes, it is, albeit it might click due to poor QC.

wastehero2

Post by wastehero2 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:51 am

what motherboard are you using? The fan should drop a little lower, the problem is it starts at 0% pwm.
I have the GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5, and yeah lowest RPM is 1077rpm at 0% PWM
As an alternative, megahalems can fit 140mm fans with 120mm frame, but not with the factory clips, they sell additional clips, if you go this route then some decent pwm fans might work, like noctua nf-p14r redux pwm (usually around $15) and thermalright ty147 (usually around $17)
I would probably go this route if the clips were sold on Amazon but since I can only find them on frozencpu I will probably stick with 120mm to minimize costs.
Noctua NA-SRC7
Scythe GlideStream 120mm PWM SC
Scythe GlideStream 120mm PWM SY1225HB12M-P
Scythe Slip Stream 120 PWM SY1225SL12LM-P
Noctua NF-P14r redux-1500 PWM
Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM
Deepcool Gamerstorm TF120 Blue
Deepcool Gamerstorm GF140 Red (it may be noticeably clicky)
Fractal Design Venturi HP-12 PWM
NZXT FX V2 140mm
Thermalright TY-147A
Fractal Design Venturi HP-14 PWM
Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-PS

I didn't strictly follow your criteria.
I used Amazon just because I was there, you may look for them anywhere.
My preferences go probably to #1 and #11.
Will the L.N.A adapter work with the NB M12-P? Is it essentially made to just drop voltage delivered through pwm and reduce rpms? Are there any downsides?
Also can you please tell me what the major differences between #2, #3, and #4 are? (I imagine the glidestream is the update version of the Slip Stream?)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:38 am

wastehero2 wrote:I have the GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5, and yeah lowest RPM is 1077rpm at 0% PWM

In PWM that's the speed range (1000-2000rpm), it can be downvolted 3-400rpm more but you don't have a proper header (a fully controllable DC one, I mean).

wastehero2 wrote:I would probably go this route if the clips were sold on Amazon but since I can only find them on frozencpu I will probably stick with 120mm to minimize costs.

You may also slightly bend the original clips corners or use zip ties, in order to minimize costs.

wastehero2 wrote:Will the L.N.A adapter work with the NB M12-P?

It should work with any PWM fan, albeit Noctua states that third party fans are not officially supported.

wastehero2 wrote:Is it essentially made to just drop voltage delivered through pwm and reduce rpms?

AFAIK it drops the 12V supply (any PWM fan draws 12V, as 3pin ones), so the 5V PWM duty cycle (coming from the fourth wire) is applied to that reduced voltage.

wastehero2 wrote:Are there any downsides?

For sure: it have to be used only with fans which draw 2W (0.17A) at most, you have to check your one.

wastehero2 wrote:Also can you please tell me what the major differences between #2, #3, and #4 are? (I imagine the glidestream is the update version of the Slip Stream?)
All the quoted fans were reviewed in some form/variant by SPCR, so you should check the relevant SPCR notes.

The #2 is the stock Ninja 4 fan, it sports a speed switch, the #3 is close to the stock Kotetsu fan, the #4 is the classic retail Slipstream.
I can't say if there's a real difference, set aside the slightly different blades, they're rather close, share similar points of strenght (not tonal, move lots of air) and all with similar drawbacks (clickiness at close proximity, YMMV to which degree, moderately noisy/whiny above 1000-1100rpm: comparatively your Multiframe is more pleasant/quieter above 1000rpm).

wastehero2

Post by wastehero2 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:33 am

Looks like the Noise adapter is out of the question then because the M12-P is 2.04 Watts.

I took a look at the TY-147A and it looks like it has 120mm mounting so I might be able to use the stock 120mm clips to mount it possibly?

TY-147A seems the more sensible choice (140mm vs. 120mm) over the Glidestream but it is a bit more expensive and mounting might be an issue. Is there anything else
I should consider when choosing between those two? (Another point is that for $9 more over the TY-147A I can just grab a Kotetsu off amazon, albeit it's a warehouse deal with damaged packaging)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:44 pm

wastehero2 wrote:Looks like the Noise adapter is out of the question then because the M12-P is 2.04 Watts.
It's borderline, not unfeasible, but neither comfortable.

wastehero2 wrote:I took a look at the TY-147A and it looks like it has 120mm mounting so I might be able to use the stock 120mm clips to mount it possibly?

It's definitely possible, you could have to slightly bend outwards the clips using some pliers.

wastehero2 wrote:Another point is that for $9 more over the TY-147A I can just grab a Kotetsu off amazon, albeit it's a warehouse deal with damaged packaging
Or said differently, for $14 more over the Glidestream/Slipstream you can grab that Kotetsu. :wink:

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:21 pm

wastehero2 wrote:I took a look at the TY-147A and it looks like it has 120mm mounting so I might be able to use the stock 120mm clips to mount it possibly?

TY-147A seems the more sensible choice (140mm vs. 120mm) over the Glidestream but it is a bit more expensive and mounting might be an issue.
Honestly i dont have megahalems with me to see, i did a build with a friend that used a Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 140, which is very similar to the TY147A (well not 100%, its slimmer and all sides on the vortex are flat while on the ty147a two sides are flat other two are round, but you can play around with it, not a big deal, the holes do match), bieng a 140 fan on a 120mm mounting frame, weather or not you can use the stock ones to mount it, im not sure, from what i remember he bought the Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 14 Fan Wire Clip Set - Megahalems Series, but probably try what what you have atm. Here a picture of this clips into how the mount on the megahalems,

I seen different mounting clips on megahelms for 120s, some are like clip to the frame on the middle others are just to the 120mm holes, not sure which came with yours? Either way might be worth testing them on TY147A, honestly if you want to save you will find a way to attach it without much effort.

Btw how are you reaching 0% pwm on a gigabyte mobo, on bios or software?

wastehero2

Post by wastehero2 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:20 am

Abula wrote:

TY-147A seems the more sensible choice (140mm vs. 120mm) over the Glidestream but it is a bit more expensive and mounting might be an issue.
Honestly i dont have megahalems with me to see, i did a build with a friend that used a Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 140, which is very similar to the TY147A (well not 100%, its slimmer and all sides on the vortex are flat while on the ty147a two sides are flat other two are round, but you can play around with it, not a big deal, the holes do match), bieng a 140 fan on a 120mm mounting frame, weather or not you can use the stock ones to mount it, im not sure, from what i remember he bought the Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 14 Fan Wire Clip Set - Megahalems Series, but probably try what what you have atm. Here a picture of this clips into how the mount on the megahalems,

I seen different mounting clips on megahelms for 120s, some are like clip to the frame on the middle others are just to the 120mm holes, not sure which came with yours? Either way might be worth testing them on TY147A, honestly if you want to save you will find a way to attach it without much effort.

Btw how are you reaching 0% pwm on a gigabyte mobo, on bios or software?
I ordered the Glidestream (the one that comes with the Ninja 4) this morning it should arrive friday I will update the results then.

I use BIOS as well as Gigabyte's provided software (APP Center and System information viewer) they are identical from what I can tell.

And I have the 120mm hole clips not the ones that latch onto the fan frame. I will most likely give the TY147A a try if the Glidestream proves dissapointing (hopefully it will not, seems like a solid fan from what I can tell from my short research).

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:43 pm

wastehero2 wrote:I ordered the Glidestream (the one that comes with the Ninja 4) this morning it should arrive friday I will update the results then.
I think you will be pleased, although worth mentioning that that exact glidestream on the Ninja4 is different from the standard glidestream pwm, it starts higher, here some graphs for you to see how are each,

Image Image
wastehero2 wrote:And I have the 120mm hole clips not the ones that latch onto the fan frame. I will most likely give the TY147A a try if the Glidestream proves dissapointing (hopefully it will not, seems like a solid fan from what I can tell from my short research).
I think you will be happy with the glidestream, but in case you want to try the TY147A, here is the graph on PWM header, one thing worth mentioning is that it will never stop, even at 0% pwm you will get around 300rpms, that said the fan at those speed is inaudible, really a good fan imo.

wastehero2 wrote:I use BIOS as well as Gigabyte's provided software (APP Center and System information viewer) they are identical from what I can tell.
If you find the time and you are willing, i would appriciate if you could post how it is really in more detail, not only for me, but there are a lot of people that would like to use gigabyte, specially linux and hackintosh builds that would benefit from having good bios fan control, but i never recommend gigabyte out of in my limited experience was awful, i have heard it has gotten better, but the reviews from website never really tell the hole story, like restrictions or limitations on the bios, or for example if the headers are PWM or voltage controlled, if all are or how it really works.

Personally i really enjoy asrock, their bios fan control to me is the best in the market, its super simple but no restrictions is simple but effective, and i really like Asus for software (fanxpert) on their bios they are ok, but have some issues, msi.... i have mix feeling, but i gotta test a newer boards to see if they fix the issues i found, but gigabyte, is one of the biggest sellers worldwide, really would like to see they got better, but to the point that SPCR people can use them as they do the others, but until someone does a detail review, i dont feel confortable recommending them.

wastehero2

Post by wastehero2 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:52 pm

So the glidestream came in today and I decided to remount the megahalems since it's been a while since I put on the original Thermal Paste.
To my surprise I mounted it incredibly poorly last time around with too much thermal compound that was unevenly spread, this time I must've done it right
as I dropped by about 5c at idle and about 10c under load (stock no oc).

Needless to say the fan is great when everything is mounted and sealed in the case, it is virtually inaudible at 700rpm my head is about 3 feet from the Define R5.

However it's sound profile is hardly ideal when you put your ear right next to it. There is a somewhat of a sweet spot where it's not high enough to be noisy from being at 1000rpm or so and not slow enough to where you hear the clicking (I think is what I heard?). Overall it seems to have been an outstanding purchase and certainly and upgrade from my older noiseblocker (probably mostly because I was stuck at the 1000-2000rpm range).

On a side note I am still mad as hell that my Spinpoint 1TB HDD (7200rpm) and my Seagate 2TB HDD (also 7200rpm, model ST2000DM001) are the loudest components in my build now. Maybe it's just that the Spinpoint is failing but the noise the HDD's emit are very unpleasant and have a high pitched whine to it.

I appreciate all the help in choosing this replacement fan thank you very much! :D