Ryzen 1700, thermal paste and Arctic 33 CPU Cooler

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bokka

Ryzen 1700, thermal paste and Arctic 33 CPU Cooler

Post by Bokka » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:36 am

Hi, this weekend if all is okay, I should assemble a PC with an "Arctic Freezer 33" heatsink. However, reading the assembly instructions, they say that the thermal paste must be applied as described in the following drawing:

... But is not too massive so ?? I thought I would put the classic rice grain in the center of the CPU and then let it expand with the pressure of the heat sink ... or am I wrong?

For example, can you put an image (not a drawing) of how I can apply the paste properly?

Thanks in advance!

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Ryzen 1700, thermal paste and Arctic 33 CPU Cooler

Post by Vicotnik » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:53 am

Since it's a naked heatpipe cooler they want the paste to be evenly spread on all the heatpipes. Rice grain in the middle will work I'm sure. But maybe performance will be slightly better if you follow the instructions.

Bokka

Post by Bokka » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:16 am

Vicotnik wrote:Since it's a naked heatpipe cooler they want the paste to be evenly spread on all the heatpipes. Rice grain in the middle will work I'm sure. But maybe performance will be slightly better if you follow the instructions.
Ok, but if I apply the quantity shown in the drawing, is not it too much and is it likely to get out of the cpu edges when I hit the heatsink?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:24 am

The four lines don't need to be thick, when the thing is mounted they each only need to be squeezed out to cover 1/4 of the base. Be very conservative with the amount of paste applied.

It's a 2D picture. Those lines might be paper thin. ;)

Bokka

Post by Bokka » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:37 am

Vicotnik wrote:The four lines don't need to be thick, when the thing is mounted they each only need to be squeezed out to cover 1/4 of the base. Be very conservative with the amount of paste applied.

It's a 2D picture. Those lines might be paper thin. ;)
In the manual, the thermal paste on the heatsink is applied in the same way for both Intel and AMD CPUs.

Tonight, however, I will try to put the thermal paste as indicated in the manual.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:39 am

Because there are gaps between the heat pipes, it needs more paste than a unit with a flat plate.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:05 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Because there are gaps between the heat pipes, it needs more paste than a unit with a flat plate.
Yep. An alternative method might be to apply as shown and then sweep a credit card edge over it to embed paste in the valleys/remove all the excess so the flat bits of the cooler look like they are nearly paste free. Sort of like spackling your wall. :) Then, apply the usual rice grain sized paste to the CPU.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:06 pm

Ah, grain in the middle would fill the gaps and perhaps not reach out to cover the pipes properly. I don't think it matters much if the gaps are filled as long as the pipes make good contact.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:01 pm

Interesting to see that Arctic has changed their recommendation.
Previously for direct heatpipe the general advice was to place one string of paste centrally across all heatpipes.