Not overclocking, size is not an issue, just want silent i7

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

boe

Not overclocking, size is not an issue, just want silent i7

Post by boe » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:57 am

Hello,

I'm probably building my next PC in July. I'll be using the Cosmos II Case again (16 hard drives). The case has plenty of space so the size of the CPU cooler is not an issue. I'd like it as quiet as possible. I've bought the Scythe Ninja 4 for my last few PCs. I'm wondering if I should buy it again for my next PC or consider something else or get it and replace the fan. I don't overclock. The only time I push my CPU at all is when I'm playing games or converting movies and that only pushes it slightly doesn't even get remotely close to 70% the few times I push it. I'll probably get the i7-7700k although I might get skylake X just to get the lanes (I'll be using an 1080 ti, Megaraid 9460-16 and a x710-T4)

Abula

Re: Not overclocking, size is not an issue, just want silent

Post by Abula » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:11 am

I would go with ninja4 agian, fine cooler for the price, and should be a great match for 7700k. But remember, this is 4.5ghz trubo cpu, some board even allow the boost to go in all cores, at this point, the cpu will need more cooling than my 6700k, i still think its a fine match, just dont expect superquiet operation if you push or your motherboard allows the 4.5 clocks constantly, my Z87-GD65 with 4790K required more cooling (4.4ghz) then my 6700k (4.0), my asrock keept the turbo on 1 core, while my msi did allow all to go 4.4ghz, temp wise is around 15C more on prime95.

boe

Post by boe » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:41 pm

Abula wrote:I would go with ninja4 agian, fine cooler for the price, and should be a great match for 7700k. But remember, this is 4.5ghz trubo cpu, some board even allow the boost to go in all cores, at this point, the cpu will need more cooling than my 6700k, i still think its a fine match, just dont expect superquiet operation if you push or your motherboard allows the 4.5 clocks constantly, my Z87-GD65 with 4790K required more cooling (4.4ghz) then my 6700k (4.0), my asrock keept the turbo on 1 core, while my msi did allow all to go 4.4ghz, temp wise is around 15C more on prime95.
Thanks. How do you like your motherboard? My current PC has a 6700k on a gigabyte z170 but I'm thinking about going asrock super carrier or the x299 equivalent if I go that route.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:05 pm

boe wrote:
Abula wrote:I would go with ninja4 agian, fine cooler for the price, and should be a great match for 7700k. But remember, this is 4.5ghz trubo cpu, some board even allow the boost to go in all cores, at this point, the cpu will need more cooling than my 6700k, i still think its a fine match, just dont expect superquiet operation if you push or your motherboard allows the 4.5 clocks constantly, my Z87-GD65 with 4790K required more cooling (4.4ghz) then my 6700k (4.0), my asrock keept the turbo on 1 core, while my msi did allow all to go 4.4ghz, temp wise is around 15C more on prime95.
Thanks. How do you like your motherboard? My current PC has a 6700k on a gigabyte z170 but I'm thinking about going asrock super carrier or the x299 equivalent if I go that route.
Im happy atm with AsRock, but more so because i do like a lot their bios fan control, its a solid board, but nothing flashy or high end, i personally always look for a PCIe 1x at the bottom, and AsRock is one of the few to offer this on their K4 designs, i dont care if its 16x, but i do care when i see my GPU go to 8x because im using the last pci slot ='(.

I think Ryzen shake somewhat the market, and while its not superior, its right on the tails in many aspects, i think next gen intel is going to try to deliver, i would skip kaby, in favor os Kaby X with X299 or wait of for Cofee lake, probably will hit the market before years end, offering a six core. I kinda think they are going to bring 12/10/8 to the E platform, releasing the 6 core to the mainstream.

boe

Post by boe » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:27 am

Abula wrote:
boe wrote:
Im happy atm with AsRock, but more so because i do like a lot their bios fan control, its a solid board, but nothing flashy or high end, i personally always look for a PCIe 1x at the bottom, and AsRock is one of the few to offer this on their K4 designs, i dont care if its 16x, but i do care when i see my GPU go to 8x because im using the last pci slot ='(.

I think Ryzen shake somewhat the market, and while its not superior, its right on the tails in many aspects, i think next gen intel is going to try to deliver, i would skip kaby, in favor os Kaby X with X299 or wait of for Cofee lake, probably will hit the market before years end, offering a six core. I kinda think they are going to bring 12/10/8 to the E platform, releasing the 6 core to the mainstream.
Thanks! I do want more PCIe lanes only because I'm not an expert on them and figure I'll need at least 16x for my video card, raid controller and my nic - not sure if that is true. I don't know if they need that but that is the type of slot they use and from what I've been told PCIe channels are not dynamic so they don't use what they need and really share them.