Gentle Typhoons alternatives for radiator cooling?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ShadeOfBlue

Gentle Typhoons alternatives for radiator cooling?

Post by ShadeOfBlue » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:05 pm

I'm looking for something with decent static pressure to cool a 120x360 radiator. The fans will be running at medium to low RPM, as not much cooling is required for this system.

My go-to fans were Scythe Gentle Typhoons in the past, set to 800-900RPM. They've been discontinued for a long time now, though I see that Nidec still makes them under their brand name, but only in the higher RPM versions (equivalent to GT AP-15 or faster).

Is there something like Gentle Typhooons I can get from new stock, perhaps slightly cheaper even?

Abula

Re: Gentle Typhoons alternatives for radiator cooling?

Post by Abula » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:39 pm

Here is some options,

1) Nidec Servo Gentle Typhoon D1225C12B5AP 120mm 1850 rpm
Yes, they are faster than what you have used, but they undervolt well, usually the 1850rpms was able to drop around 400rpms, so i would consider this still an option as long as you can undevolt heavy. another option very similar to the gentle typhoon is the DarkSide Gentle Typhoon Performance Radiator Fan - 1150rpm, 37cfm - Black Edition, you can read more on Thermalbench DARKSIDE GENTLE TYPHOON 1150 RPM 120 MM FAN review

2) DarkSide Gentle Typhoon Performance Radiator Fan (550-1850rpm) 58cfm - Black Edition PWM
Similar to gentle typhoons, but on black for performance pcs, they are like 1850rpms version but PWM, so they would work well with pwm splitter and some kind of fan control (i prefer asrock bios fan control), i tested one, the only downside i saw is that they dont go as low as 3pin undervolting gentle typhoons, but they do drop around 600rpms, where you might find them adequate for your purpose. You can read more on Thermalbench DARKSIDE GENTLE TYPHOON 1850 PWM 120MM FAN review.

3) Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-1 800rpms or Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-2 12000rpms
E-loops are considered one of the best rad fans among the OCing community, places like OCN and MARTINSLIQUIDLAB highly regarded, the problem with them is they do have some droning due to the design on pull configurations, so its best to use them only push, where apparently don't have. There are PWM versions like the PS with a top speed of 1500rpms, the problem is they dont go super low, in my experience the 140mm go around 600rpms or so for 0 PWM, so you would need a motherboard like asrock that has very little restrictions on PWM to be able to drop them low. If you wish to read more, check ThermalBench BLACKNOISE NB-ELOOP B12-1 120MM FAN

4) Be Quiet! SILENTWINGS 3 BL066 - 120mm PWM
A fan that recently entered the market and has been very well regarded on static preassure, there are sites that review it recently comparing to top fans and came out well like Thermalbench BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 3 120 MM FAN review, i personally have 3 running on my SimMi build and working great, they go very low on PWM (around 250rpms) and go as high as 1400rpms, very good range for whatever you want to accomplish. I also read good things about the 3pin version, Be Quiet SILENT WINGS 3 - 120mm BL064, and undervolting them, but i personally haven't tried them to vouch for how they operate.

5) EK-Vardar F1-120 (1150rpm) High Performance Liquid Cooling Fan
A fan that seems to perform well for rads, i bought one some time ago, and i personally didn't like the sonic signature but was not bad, simply i prefer others and it didnt go super low as other can, but its not a bad fan. It was also reviewed by Thermalbench EKWB VARDAR F1-120 FAN, and in most graphs on newer reviews always seem to be one of the best fans.

6) Scythe Glidestream and Slipstreams
There are a lot of versions out there, on 3pin like gentle typhoons there are 500/800/1200/1500/1900 versions, and on pwm there are low/mid/high, even special grey pwm version. Personally i never seen the design of the Slipstream/glidestream as heatsink fans, more for me they were really good cheap case fans, with good range of operation and with a lot of options to chose on speed, but Scythe uses them on all their heatsinks, so they might not be as bad as i think for that purpose. This is probably the cheapest fan you will find on the ones i suggested, usually $10-13, but for me, i would pick any of the above before this, if your budget allows.

Good luck with your choice, and if you can share with us how it went, i been trying to make watercool custom loop build for some time, but i never get the nerves to do it, but maybe with more users feedback i might.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:24 am

In the UK Gentle Typhoons were supplanted for radiator cooling (particularly in a pull configuration) by the Akasa 120mm PWM fans, first the Apache and later the Viper. Either should be around $16 in the US.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:57 am

Abula wrote:...i been trying to make watercool custom loop build for some time, but i never get the nerves to do it, but maybe with more users feedback i might.
Well this might give you some encouragement. My local supplier Scan have just introduced this, their latest prebuilt performance PC the 3XS Carbon Fluid Xp. Spec: Core i9-7900X, Asus RoG Strix X299-E Gaming motherboard, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200, Titan Xp graphics card, Fractal Design S case. Cooling: Two EK waterblocks, an EK D5 pump, one 360mm EK radiator in the front, one 240mm EK radiator in the roof and Aquacomputer temperature sensor. Five Fractal Design Venturi fans. Acrylic tubing with Mayhems Ice White coolant.

As I said one of Scan's prebuilt systems, and the price... £4,000 ($5,000 US).

Image source: Hexus.net review.

WildWhite

Post by WildWhite » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:16 am

Abula wrote:Here is some options,

1) Nidec Servo Gentle Typhoon D1225C12B5AP 120mm 1850 rpm
Yes, they are faster than what you have used, but they undervolt well, usually the 1850rpms was able to drop around 400rpms, so i would consider this still an option as long as you can undevolt heavy. another option very similar to the gentle typhoon is the DarkSide Gentle Typhoon Performance Radiator Fan - 1150rpm, 37cfm - Black Edition, you can read more on Thermalbench DARKSIDE GENTLE TYPHOON 1150 RPM 120 MM FAN review

2) DarkSide Gentle Typhoon Performance Radiator Fan (550-1850rpm) 58cfm - Black Edition PWM
Similar to gentle typhoons, but on black for performance pcs, they are like 1850rpms version but PWM, so they would work well with pwm splitter and some kind of fan control (i prefer asrock bios fan control), i tested one, the only downside i saw is that they dont go as low as 3pin undervolting gentle typhoons, but they do drop around 600rpms, where you might find them adequate for your purpose. You can read more on Thermalbench DARKSIDE GENTLE TYPHOON 1850 PWM 120MM FAN review.

3) Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-1 800rpms or Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-2 12000rpms
E-loops are considered one of the best rad fans among the OCing community, places like OCN and MARTINSLIQUIDLAB highly regarded, the problem with them is they do have some droning due to the design on pull configurations, so its best to use them only push, where apparently don't have. There are PWM versions like the PS with a top speed of 1500rpms, the problem is they dont go super low, in my experience the 140mm go around 600rpms or so for 0 PWM, so you would need a motherboard like asrock that has very little restrictions on PWM to be able to drop them low. If you wish to read more, check ThermalBench BLACKNOISE NB-ELOOP B12-1 120MM FAN

4) Be Quiet! SILENTWINGS 3 BL066 - 120mm PWM
A fan that recently entered the market and has been very well regarded on static preassure, there are sites that review it recently comparing to top fans and came out well like Thermalbench BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 3 120 MM FAN review, i personally have 3 running on my SimMi build and working great, they go very low on PWM (around 250rpms) and go as high as 1400rpms, very good range for whatever you want to accomplish. I also read good things about the 3pin version, Be Quiet SILENT WINGS 3 - 120mm BL064, and undervolting them, but i personally haven't tried them to vouch for how they operate.

5) EK-Vardar F1-120 (1150rpm) High Performance Liquid Cooling Fan
A fan that seems to perform well for rads, i bought one some time ago, and i personally didn't like the sonic signature but was not bad, simply i prefer others and it didnt go super low as other can, but its not a bad fan. It was also reviewed by Thermalbench EKWB VARDAR F1-120 FAN, and in most graphs on newer reviews always seem to be one of the best fans.

6) Scythe Glidestream and Slipstreams
There are a lot of versions out there, on 3pin like gentle typhoons there are 500/800/1200/1500/1900 versions, and on pwm there are low/mid/high, even special grey pwm version. Personally i never seen the design of the Slipstream/glidestream as heatsink fans, more for me they were really good cheap case fans, with good range of operation and with a lot of options to chose on speed, but Scythe uses them on all their heatsinks, so they might not be as bad as i think for that purpose. This is probably the cheapest fan you will find on the ones i suggested, usually $10-13, but for me, i would pick any of the above before this, if your budget allows.

Good luck with your choice, and if you can share with us how it went, i been trying to make watercool custom loop build for some time, but i never get the nerves to do it, but maybe with more users feedback i might.
Hey im looking to build a SSF system with a hybrid cooling, and since you seem to know quiet a bit about these fans, can you recommend me one with good quality control and performance? In particularly the ones with magnetic levitation motors?

Im a little new to all of the technical terms, but what i am looking for is something that can pump the most air but be the quietest at it, and same for low RPM. I hear you cant have both, is it true?