Best 65w TDP cooler in terms of 'silence'

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Meliewx

Best 65w TDP cooler in terms of 'silence'

Post by Meliewx » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:53 pm

Hello there.

I'm hoping to receive some more advice with regards to quiet coolers if you will as I'm getting a little lost in reviews and such.

For reference, I have the S340 Elite and currently have the Cryorig H5 Ultimate but I'm really unhappy that 1) blocks ram slots so have to orientate it differently and 2) I find it 'noisy' for my tastes.

My case has a clearance of 161mm I believe and I have all four ram slots populated. I'm not overly keen on how large my cooler is so I was hoping to downsize as well as I tan something quieter than my current cooler.

I'm based in the UK as an FYI.

I've had recommendations of the Thermalright Macho Direct, True Spirit 140 Direct. I've looked at the bequiet shadow rock slim and seen the Scythe Kotetsu recommended here.

Unfortunately with a big side panel window aesthetics do matter somewhat which I know isn't ideal but I don't like the Noctua colour schemes for example etc.

My CPU is only the i5-6500.

Is anybody able to offer some advice on my best options with regards to noise levels. My Cryorig is currently operated through my Asus mobo fan xpert4 and is running relatively slowly I believe. I just find it a little loud for my liking.

I was hoping people here wouldn't tell me to cope with the noise or game with headsets and such as I'm hoping there's others picky like me.

Thanks in advance.

Melanie

CA_Steve

Re: Best 65w TDP cooler in terms of 'silence'

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:33 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

My suggestion would be the Scythe Kotetsu as it's 160mm, has RAM clearance and works great. However, while the S340 has 161mm clearance, the glass in the non-elite version was found to touch a 160mm cooler of a given width...the Kotetsu may or may not clear this. The Mugen 5, although terrible overkill for a stock 65W CPU, is only 155mm tall and has an offset base for RAM clearance. Both are found via pcpartpicker..I set up a restriction of 140-157mm tall. There are potentially cheaper others...but, here's a first look.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:13 pm

My suggestion is Thermalright Macho RevB, clears memory as the fan is placed after the last memory bank, good overall cooler and the included fan has a very good range of operation on PWM, 300-1300rpms. I leave you a pic of a build with it on S340 Elite with the Macho, Ryzen 1600 build, i would think it fits as the pics have the door placed, maybe it touches, hard to tell but i would go that route, else i would go with Steve suggestion on the mugen5.

Meliewx

Post by Meliewx » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:49 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Ideally I wanted something smaller than my H5 which makes me lean away from the Machos and such as it looks massive lol.

Is the shadow rock slim no good vs the others listed here? It's simply smaller visually.

I'll look at the Mugen now thank you

Meliewx

Post by Meliewx » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:01 pm

Abula wrote:My suggestion is Thermalright Macho RevB, clears memory as the fan is placed after the last memory bank, good overall cooler and the included fan has a very good range of operation on PWM, 300-1300rpms. I leave you a pic of a build with it on S340 Elite with the Macho, Ryzen 1600 build, i would think it fits as the pics have the door placed, maybe it touches, hard to tell but i would go that route, else i would go with Steve suggestion on the mugen5.
I'd also seen this build and the guy said it didn't touch the window as I had asked due to the measurements

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:02 am

Meliewx wrote:Is the shadow rock slim no good vs the others listed here? It's simply smaller visually.
It's a decent cooler, but is also 161mm tall.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:34 am

Meliewx wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. Ideally I wanted something smaller than my H5 which makes me lean away from the Machos and such as it looks massive lol.
I never really have understood people fearing the size of coolers, i have ran big cooler for decades no issues ever, and if could fit something bigger i would, as more area of dissipation will allow low rpms to remove the heat, thus quieter operation, that said i do respect that we all have different needs and desires on our builds, so go for what you really want.
Meliewx wrote:I'll look at the Mugen now thank you
Scythe Mugen 5

Meliewx

Post by Meliewx » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:49 am

Abula wrote:
Meliewx wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. Ideally I wanted something smaller than my H5 which makes me lean away from the Machos and such as it looks massive lol.
I never really have understood people fearing the size of coolers, i have ran big cooler for decades no issues ever, and if could fit something bigger i would, as more area of dissipation will allow low rpms to remove the heat, thus quieter operation, that said i do respect that we all have different needs and desires on our builds, so go for what you really want.
Meliewx wrote:I'll look at the Mugen now thank you
Scythe Mugen 5
It's difficult because I've becoming increasingly aware quieter operation is something I desire but do become torn by the fact I'm a fan of the aesthetics of some components and large tempered glass side windows.

The H5 I had I had to orientate horizontally if you will which could be 'throwing' how it all looks to me and me thinking oh I want a smaller cooler.

Ideally I would just like the best possible in terms of noise I guess for my build.

The Macho B is a big boy though!

Meliewx

Post by Meliewx » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:51 am

CA_Steve wrote:
Meliewx wrote:Is the shadow rock slim no good vs the others listed here? It's simply smaller visually.
It's a decent cooler, but is also 161mm tall.
Had missed the measurements of that one and went solely on a recommendation sorry!

Is the Mugen 5 the one you'd recommend over the others for quieter operation?

As long as it's better than my H5 I'll be happy. I think...

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:21 am

With the large mass of the Mugen 5 and your stock clocked 65W CPU, you should be able to set up a low noise/inaudible fan profile...especially since the PWM fan will drop down to 300rpm.