Thermalright Le GRAND MACHO RT in Node 304

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

yujikimura

Thermalright Le GRAND MACHO RT in Node 304

Post by yujikimura » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:46 pm

Hi, everyone. I'm looking for a low-noise cpu cooler for my i7 7700k mini-ITX build in a Fractal Node 304.
I was considering the Thermalright Le GRAND MACHO RT Rev. B with TY-147, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with the Node 304, since it seems have a very large heat sink.

Does anybody know if it would fit? Or do you have any better recommendations for low-noise coolers which can fit the Node 304?

I've considered:
Scythe Ninja 4
Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B
FSP Windale 6
Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Direct

I don't plan on OCing, I just want to get the cooler that provides the lowest noise possible because the pc will be in my living room and on 24/7.

NeilBlanchard

Re: Thermalright Le GRAND MACHO RT in Node 304

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:36 am

Welcome to SPCR,

Do you have a dimension above the CPU / motherboard in the 304? The Ninja 4 may have the best "passive" cooling, so the case fan(s) would have a good chance of moving enough air; and you could run without a fan on the CPU cooler.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:49 am

Welcome to SPCR
yujikimura wrote:Hi, everyone. I'm looking for a low-noise cpu cooler for my i7 7700k mini-ITX build in a Fractal Node 304.
I was considering the Thermalright Le GRAND MACHO RT Rev. B with TY-147, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with the Node 304, since it seems have a very large heat sink.

Does anybody know if it would fit?
I own a HR22, the same as Le Grand Macho for practical purposes, i don't own a 304 to tell you for sure, but my best guess is that it wont fit, on the past i planed a build on 304 that at the end didnt go through, but my plan was to use the HR02 (the todays Macho not Le grand), upon checking on OCN [Official] Fractal Design Node 304 Owners Club it seems it does fit but without the case exhaust fan, so thinking the Le Grand Macho goes even further back, my guess it wont fit, but remember it will depend also on the CPU socket placement (not all mini itx mobos have it in the same exact place), but overall i wouldnt risk it, its more likely that it wont fit.
yujikimura wrote:Or do you have any better recommendations for low-noise coolers which can fit the Node 304?

I've considered:
Scythe Ninja 4
Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B
FSP Windale 6
Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Direct
On the Node304 is prefered to have a cpu cooler that its flush with the CPU socket and grows to the back, as this will give you the least issues for the hdd mounting, fan placement and memory interference. Because of this, i would discard the Ninja 4, as it grows front and back.

My recommendation is the Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power (the direct is missing a pipe), comes with a very good fan, that can be droped down to 300rpms (inaudible) or ramp up to 1300rpms via bios/software (not sure what mobo you are using, recommended AsRock or MSI). The cooler don't get recommended so much mostly because its very tall, around 171mm clearance is needed, but most fractal cases have a ton of space to fit it, specially the NODE 304 can fit well above 180mm, so there is no issues there, also one good thing about being so tall its that it will align better with the intake fans and the exhaust. If you wish to read more about the cooler, check OCN Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power. Now one thing that i do recommend is to check the width, since i don't know which mobo you going with, its best to check if you will have the clearance side ways, its very likely that it will, but its best to crosscheck before buying.

My second pick would be Scythe Mugen5 RevB, its like Macho scale down with flush CPU placement allowing you to have whatever memory you feel like it, personally i would chose it second because i prefer the 140mm fan on the spirit and its bigger size, but if for whatever reason you don't want the spirit, this would be my pick.

vishcompany

Post by vishcompany » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:54 pm

I don't know the coolers of your list, but I ran a Noctua NH-U14S successfully inside a Node 304 on top of a 6700K, see also here.