Scythe Ninja 5

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

edh

Scythe Ninja 5

Post by edh » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:16 pm

Just spotted this:
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/scythe ... -fans.html

Not much other info on the web yet that I can find. It's more evolution than revolution really. 2 fans, a black finish, new mounting hardware and some cutaway fins at the bottom of the stack to allow the use of infantile tall RAM heatspreaders.

I am a bit cautious about it for a few reasons. Scythe fans haven't been that great for a while so is it really an advantage to get 2? To me that would just be 2 fans to add to my stash of spares. The black finish is more marketing than anything else, mounting hardware I'm sure will help for some compatibility.

The one thing I really don't like though is the smaller fins for more RAM clearance. If you are buying a Ninja you probably don't have 55mm tall RAM and if you do, first get your head checked and if you are still convinced that you need to overcompensate in such a way for your other shortcomings, take a pair of tin snips to the lower fins anyway.

Also, the shape has changed - it no longer has 4 identical sides, it is clearly intended to be used in one orientation only.

In summary I don't like it on first observations as much as the Ninja 4 but maybe benchmarks can prove me wrong.

lodestar

Re: Scythe Ninja 5

Post by lodestar » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:19 am

Yes that's an interesting development. I must say the Mugen 5 Rev. B looks to be a lot easier to fit on most motherboards, and I am not sure that it's performance is that far behind the Ninja 4 or 5

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:16 am

Specs for Scythe Ninja 5 (Model No. SCNJ-5000)

Weight: 1190 g including fans
Dimensions WxHxD: 138 x 155 x 180 mm (including fans - more dimensions)
Airflow
Fans: 2 x Kaze Flex 120 PWM (300-800 RPM)

lb_felipe

Post by lb_felipe » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:25 am

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks for the link, I note that the results on an Intel 201x platform at maximum stress are not so good, to me it looks like the 800 rpm fans are just not fast enough. I think it would have been better to have provided 2 of the standard 300 to 1200 fans rather than the 300 to 800 fans.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:56 am

lodestar wrote:Thanks for the link, I note that the results on an Intel 201x platform at maximum stress are not so good, to me it looks like the 800 rpm fans are just not fast enough. ...
Correct. Compared to the fans provided with the other coolers the Noctua fans aren't loud enough...
In the other tests all coolers are compared at the same (measured) noise level, and there the Ninja do just fine!

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:43 am

The main issue for me with Scythe CPU coolers (and incidentally I own two of them) is the almost complete absence of information on motherboard compatibility. This is the one factor that I think will hold back Ninja 5 sales. It is a very big cooler depth wise and I suspect many potential buyers will pass it by simply because it looks to them that it won't fit.

Barto

Post by Barto » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:26 am

Hello, you might find this interesting: https://www.hwcooling.net/en/test-scyth ... edecessor/

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:14 am

Thanks, Barto. Nice review. While the acoustic setup is limited to ~31dBA, but there's still a bit more information that can be squeezed out. I'd love to see the addition of a test showing min starting rpm vs temperature...maybe in the upcoming passive article.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Mon May 14, 2018 12:04 pm

lol, and I just bought Ninja 4.

Good to see it's AM4 compatible out of the box. Also nice to see black top instead of tacky chrome. I am disappointed that it's uni-directional only. On most current AM4 motherboards the fans will be blowing front to back thanks to socket orientation, but it does make me worry if socket orientation changes in the future.

boe

Post by boe » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:49 am

I'm wondering if I could get similar quiet and cooling performance if I put 2 fans on my ninja 4. I'd just like my system as quiet as possible.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:27 am

A single fan should provide the best performance to noise ratio. Adding a second fan will more likely introduce interference noise while not adding much in terms of cooling.

If your current fan is insufficient even though you have made sure:
* the cooling fins are clean.
* the cooler is properly seated, with a suitably applied layer of TIM.
* there's a sufficient airflow through the case.
Then replacing the fan with a better one (more flow at the same or lesser noise level) is the way to go.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:49 am

Usually the first fan does most of the gains, a second fan (depending on the cooler) usually averages 4-5C gain, but as Ollep said, also introduces more noise, weather its worth it only the user can decide.

I been wanting for a long time to try this, with a couple of coolers, like HR22 (cant fit a 2nd fan realistically on a case), Scythe Mugen5 (likely to be able to fit a 2nd fan), SilverArrow (can fit 1, 2 or 3 fans). The only thing that doesn't motivate, is that i cant measure well the db, my ambient noise is well above 30db. I'm kinda planning on building a small warehouse on my backyard, trying to check with my brother if we can build a room with dual wall and getting some treatment to see if i can reach sub 20db, but its going to take some time.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:04 am

Abula wrote:trying to check with my brother if we can build a room with dual wall and getting some treatment to see if i can reach sub 20db, but its going to take some time.
Make it multi-purpose: Build a subterranean wine cellar. :)

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:21 am

Abula wrote:... a second fan... usually averages 4-5C gain, ...
Only in situations where you go from a really high temperature or have a restrictive heatsink.

I used to have a Ninja 2(?) with one fan, and had the case's exhaust fan a few centimeters behind the cooler.
DSCN1784.JPG
Then one day as I was to do some computer maintenance or replace the videocard I noticed the CPU cooling fan was dead. :shock: It probably had been dead for a while but the airflow from the exhaust fan was sufficient to keep the CPU at tolerable temps...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.