Arctic Freezer 33 CO vs Cryorig H7

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Pierre

Arctic Freezer 33 CO vs Cryorig H7

Post by Pierre » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:10 am

What the title says.

I am looking for a low cost, efficient and low-noise solution to cooling an AMD 2400G AM4 cpu.

Arctic Freezer 33 CO is available at 26 Euros https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/freezer-33-co.html
Cryorig H7 is available at 32 Euros. http://www.cryorig.com/h7_us.php

If I were to go higher it would only be for the Thermalright HR02 at 42 Euros (still considering it actually), but I am trying to save as much as possible, given my lower TDP cooling needs

I've read good, positive reviews for both, but I am undecided because well I don't trust these reviews as much as I trust SPCR's

One negative thing about the Freezer 33 CO might be that the metal bars used to secure it to the motherboard seem not to be of really high quality and I've read people saying how they bend (more permanently) when used...
...on the good side, Warranty is 6 years...and the thermal-paste in the box is top-notch.

Cryorig H7 is more expensive but apart from some difficulty when installing, I haven't read anything negative, quality-wise.

Regarding the FAN, both have low-rpm fans but I don't really know how they compare, never seen a direct comparison

...I don't want them to run over 13-14db so whichever may offer the best temps at that noise-level and with the best sound-character, I guess would be the better choice.

thesmileyone

Re: Arctic Freezer 33 CO vs Cryorig H7

Post by thesmileyone » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:33 am

Hi

I saw rave reviews for Arctic F12 Silent fans, so I bought one, and it has obvious bearing noise. So to me it is not silent. In fact I can walk into my room and know what my PC is upto, based on if it is spinning fast, based on the bearing noise. My PC is on my desk though and the case (Carbide 400R) has lots of ventilation.

IIRC the Freezer coolers use these fans?

Pierre

Post by Pierre » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:54 pm

thesmileyone wrote:Hi

I saw rave reviews for Arctic F12 Silent fans, so I bought one, and it has obvious bearing noise. So to me it is not silent. In fact I can walk into my room and know what my PC is upto, based on if it is spinning fast, based on the bearing noise. My PC is on my desk though and the case (Carbide 400R) has lots of ventilation.

IIRC the Freezer coolers use these fans?
In their catalogue they have many varieties of F12 labeled fans.

As far as I can tell, the Freezer 33 CO uses this fan:
https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/arctic-f12-pwm-co.html

9 blades, 1350 rpm, dual ball bearing, 12mm...most of the other F12 use fluid dynamic bearing for the fan motor.

thesmileyone

Post by thesmileyone » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:56 am

Might be better then. This is mine https://www.arctic.ac/uk_en/f12-silent.html it is not silent!

anserk

Post by anserk » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:19 pm

I personally have mixed experience with Arctic fans. I had F12 PWM Pro lying around that I bought years ago (don't remember how I got it). I recently was adding fans to my Define R4 and tried it first before buying 140 mm fan. Granted it's not the silent series, but the fan has loud bearing noise or clicking. This is the fan:
https://www.arctic.ac/us_en/arctic-f12-pro-pwm.html

For me personally it was too loud in my quiet PC. Not acceptable compared to stock Fractal Silent Series R2 140mm that came with the case. Those are practically inaudible at 400-450 rpm.

I also had an opportunity to try out Arctic Freezer 12 which seems to be a smaller version of 33. That fan is very loud, even at the lowest speed. It has the same semi-passive feature as 33 mentioned above. However, with my motherboard the fan would stop only at 15-20% PWM, not 40% as advertised. I would not recommend AF12 to anyone looking for a silent build. Unless you plan to replace the fan (not sure how one would mount it, paper clips?).

With that being said, I do have a good experience with Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2. In fact, this is what I use since 2010. At idle it is very quiet - no bearing noise whatsoever. At higher speeds it's definitely noticeable, but again, not the bearing, more like blowing air sound.

I don't know if their quality control has dropped over the years or if it's just the new models are not that quiet. AF12 is supposed to be an upgrade for AF7, but from my experience it's much worse from the silence perspective.

Pierre

Post by Pierre » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:29 am

Thank you for the input.

When I started this thread my mind was set on buying the cheapest, hopefully more effective CPU cooler immediately available for purchase.

However, since the stock 2200G cooler has proved better than expected during the "transitional"-testing phase, I upgraded my options to
- Scythe Kotetsu Mark II + extra Kazeflex 120 fan = 33 + 10-15EUR
- Scythe Mugen 5 PCGH with 2 fans = 53EUR

discussion here
viewtopic.php?p=609680#p609680

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:52 am

What price is the single fan Scythe Mugen 5?

Pierre

Post by Pierre » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:20 am

~10EUR + shipping

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:43 pm

You could consider the single fan Scythe Mugen 5 plus an extra Kaze Flex 1200 rpm PWM fan. But this would only make sense if you felt you had to have two 1200 rpm PWM fans. If you don't plan to push fan speeds over 800 rpm then the two fan Mugen 5 PCGH makes more sense.