What's the highest TDP for fanless passive cooling?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

Post by dan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:43 pm

in an apu-cpu

the amd ryzen 5 2400g is tdp 65 watts

there is a mobile version that is 35 watts

with say something like nofan, combined with a seasonic fanless titanium

but no fans, no case fans no power supply or cpu fans, just SSD's and ddr4

for true pure silence.

Abula

Re: What's the highest TDP for fanless passive cooling?

Post by Abula » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:31 pm

I would say the limit are TR and i9, where they do release a ton of heat, but you can build almost anything fanless, if you have the budget.

For example you can cool a super high end gaming setup with Calycos, and surprisingly it cools very well, you can check the following videos to learn more, TRULY Silent Workstation PC with ZERO FANS and THIS HEATSINK IS OVER FORTY POUNDS!.

Now for a more laid back smaller setup, you can go with brands like Steacom and HPLEX, both manufacture different cases that would handle today's cpus fine and totally fanless. If you are fine with miniITX, check HDPLEX H1.S V2 Fanless Chassis you can go with m.2 or with mounting bracket for storage, and according to their website,
H1.S CPU heatsink system supports latest Coffee Lake and Skylake LGA1151 socket, Broadwell and Haswell LGA1150 socket, Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge LGA1155 socket, Legacy LGA775 socket, and APU with AM4 APU/AM2/AM3/FM1/FM2 socket.

Heatpipes are fully buried inside both aluminum side panels. This is a design with no comproise. H1.S supports CPU with 65W TDP Max.
Here some videos of a full build,
LIVE: Building a fanless homelab server Part 1 (HDPLEX, Gigabyte, Intel, G.Skill, Samsung)
LIVE: Building a fanless homelab server Part 2 (HDPLEX, Gigabyte, Intel, G.Skill, Samsung)
LIVE: Building a fanless homelab server Part 3 (HDPLEX, Gigabyte, Intel, G.Skill, Samsung)
LIVE: Building a fanless homelab server Part 4 (HDPLEX, Gigabyte, Intel, G.Skill, Samsung)

You can always go a more getto route with Nofan + Seasonic fanless and a very open mesh case, like SPCR recommended in the past. Weather it can handle the 2400G not sure, never tested this AMD cpu, but i can tell you that fully fanless my No Fan95 cant handle i7 4770K on prime95, even SPCR loaded half prime on the review, but the 2400G is a lower TDP, so you might be fine

Personally i would recommend to go with Steacom/HDPlex will end up a much better setup, try to contact them see what they can offer for your 2400G desire.

dan

Re: What's the highest TDP for fanless passive cooling?

Post by dan » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:55 am

thanks, the thing about nofan 95c is it is NOT compatible with am4

i think nofan 80 is compatible with am4, with a bracket

how does the case with built in heat pipe how can it work when a cpu socket can be placed in different locations with different motherboards?