For fanless system : Heatpipes+Case or Huge Passive Cooler?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tbessie

For fanless system : Heatpipes+Case or Huge Passive Cooler?

Post by tbessie » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:40 pm

Hi folks...

I'm planning on building a fanless Mini-ITX system eventually (was thinking of a NUC, but I have more options with a Mini-ITX board).

Looking around, it seems I can cool the CPU with:

1. A huge fanless CPU cooler (eg. http://www.nofancomputer.com/eng/products/CR-95C.php )
2. A case built with fanless cooling in mind, with built-in heatpipes that attach to the case body

Of these two solutions, which do you think will do a better job? I was going to get a system with a fanless cooler, but then thought that perhaps a case designed for this purpose might be better (and wouldn't require it to be tall enough to handle one of these passive coolers, which can get pretty tall).

What do you folks think?

- Tim

Abula

Re: For fanless system : Heatpipes+Case or Huge Passive Cool

Post by Abula » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:36 pm

I would probably go with Mini itx fanless case like HDPlex or Steacom.

Michael-Inet

Re: For fanless system : Heatpipes+Case or Huge Passive Cool

Post by Michael-Inet » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:06 am

tbessie wrote:I was going to get a system with a fanless cooler, but then thought that perhaps a case designed for this purpose might be better
Go with a case "designed for this purpose" as most of the heat is shunted outside the case and all the other components are then not 'baked' by the heat that would be trapped inside a regular case with an internal fanless cooler. Your components will last much longer that way...

Edit: HDPlex has(had) really good customer service, so if you need motherboard compatibility updated, they did that for me in under 4 hours...