zalman 7000 with ZM-NB47J and Abit IS7?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

foothoss

zalman 7000 with ZM-NB47J and Abit IS7?

Post by foothoss » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:07 am

I am thinking of installing the Zalman CNPS 7000 CU on my Abit IS7 with my P4 3.0Ghz.
Has anyone done this succesfully and kept the fan on low speed so that you cant hear it?

I currently have the stock HS/fan and it is way noisy.

After I install this, I was going to target my Northbridge fan and try to put in the Zalman ZM-NB47J.
But I am not sure that it will fit on my MOBO with the proper clips. Or if it will fit with the 7000 installed.
ANy help here would be appreciated.
Here is a pic of my current set up: (disregard the fan placement it is from an older thread.)http://www.smartalig.com/dude2/pc080029.jpg

Lastly, I have purchased an Artic Cooling VGA silencer and I am afraid after I install it on my Radeon 9800, the mounting bracket on the backside will conflict with the Northbridge Heatsink (ZM-NB47J if I decide to add this to my system).

If anyone can help me out with this, I would be so happy I will run outside and try to do a cart wheel. (I may even post a pic, since that would be a site to see) :shock:
Thanks

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:54 am

Hi foothoss, you might like to take a look at this thread. The Zalman 7000, NB32J and ZM80 definitely all fit together on the IC7/IS7. See here. As there is room for the Zalman ZM80 I would expect the ACVS to fit fine as well.
Fitting the NB47J will require a little work. One method is to glue it on with thermal glue, eg Arctic Silver Epoxy. I’ve also heard it suggested you can use a mixture of the thermal epoxy and “normal” Arctic Silver, may cool slightly better but doesn’t stick so firmly that it’s irremovable. Or even thermal grease in the centre of the chip with a spot of super glue in each corner, personally I’m not sure I’d trust this! Alternatively you can get creative with some springy wire to make your own clips. I found this pic of a NB47J on an IS7, the clips are from the old style of cooler so doesn’t help you but may give you ideas.
Having looked at your link you have the version 2 Abit cooler so you can’t do the mod of cutting the corner pins. As a side note you may want to rearrange your memory. As you’ve got it in slots 1 and 2 that’s both in the same channel so you’re not getting the benefit of dual channel operation. If you put them in 1 and 3 they can be read simultaneously, very much like RAID 0 for HDDs. CPU-Z can tell you if you’re running in single or dual channel mode.
Seb

foothoss

Post by foothoss » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:12 am

Thanks SebRad

I had seen the images you posted and some one of the threads. (the other I had not seen).
I think I am going to go with the Zalman 7000 and then worry about the Northbridge after that.
I have the new style fan so I dont have the old clips. I may try to rig something with some stiff wire but that is a few weeks away. I dont want to use Epoxy (I am too new at this and afraid of the commitment. Kinda like dating!) Stiff wire or springy clips may work. I will have to check my local craft shop to see what they have.

What about just turning off the fan? Will the NB get too hot without it?
I have good airflow in the case. I guess I could experiment.

As for the memory, that is an old picture and someone else already pointed it out to me, so it is now in slots 1 and 3.
Thanks