Arctic Cooling 80mm Fan Pro TC - opinions?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

anthonysimilion

Arctic Cooling 80mm Fan Pro TC - opinions?

Post by anthonysimilion » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:25 am

Does anyone own any or has owned any - what do you think about it?

Panaflos are a lot more expensive in Australia, and with them being made in China now, it just doesn't seem like money worth spending.

A page for the Arctic Cooling fan is here:

http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod1130.htm

I'm hoping to undervolt it - hopefully it'll be quiet enough.

cruelsister

Post by cruelsister » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:49 am

I was about to buy Panaflo's, but there seemed to be alot of comments about various problems with them, so I tried the TC1's- I have a fan controller, so I though that I would undervolt them to silence. I purchased and installed 4 for my case.

Well. I found out a few things:

1) they won't start below 7 volts.
2). at 12v, they are dead silent (no noise whatsoever).
3). they push as much air at 12v as a stock Antec does at 7v
4). my case temps are the same as before (with the Antecs) minus the noise.
5). My fan controller is now useless
6). I'll never buy another brand of fan.

cruelsister

Post by cruelsister » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:57 am

I guess I should add this- the only noise from my computer is a very quiet electrical hum that can only be noticed from about 1 foot away, so it's a pretty quiet machine. Turning the fans on or off makes no difference in the noise.

anthonysimilion

Post by anthonysimilion » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:05 am

cruelsister wrote:I guess I should add this- the only noise from my computer is a very quiet electrical hum that can only be noticed from about 1 foot away, so it's a pretty quiet machine. Turning the fans on or off makes no difference in the noise.
Hmm, looks like I'll be having a few of these in my machine!

Thanks for the advice.

fetaost

Post by fetaost » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:43 am

I found some cheap Arctic fans here in Sweden for 49 sek, about $6 I think. It's the non-pro model but next to the Nexus fans it's the best I've tried. Since it has a built-in thermistor(?), a fan controller is of no use. But you can remove it (and connect the wires) if you want to be able to control speed manually with a fan controller. Beware that the pro model might be tricky to suspend since the mounting holes are so deep. (see picture in the link above.)

attnet

Post by attnet » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:36 am

My experience with two Arctic Cooling Pro TC fans at stock 12v are that they are extremely quiet...EXCEPT for an incessant ticking noise from the bearings, which can easily be heard over the rest of the fan noise. I do find, however, that the fan on my Arctic Cooling 4 TC HSF does not exhibit this ticking noise, so perhaps it is just limited to the Pro fans. I must say, the sleeving on the Pro fans is quite nice, but if I were to do it again I would probably stick to the cheaper TC-1's and sleeve them myself.

fetaost

Post by fetaost » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:43 am

I must say, the sleeving on the Pro fans is quite nice, but if I were to do it again I would probably stick to the cheaper TC-1's and sleeve them myself.
Sleeving? How do you do that? (I'm not that good at english and don't understand what it means.)

cruelsister

Post by cruelsister » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:51 am

Absolutely no ticking from the TC1 Pro fans that I recently purchased, nor in those my friends have acquired.

Perhaps there was a problem at one time, but there certainly is not one now.

attnet

Post by attnet » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:39 pm

I bought my Pro fans from SVC about two weeks ago. Where did you get yours? Perhaps SVC just got a bad batch, or maybe there is some environmental factor that is affecting our judgments.