Is there a way to swap IC board of 2 fans?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Is there a way to swap IC board of 2 fans?

Post by ultraboy » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:24 am

Hi all,

I'm in a situation where my 2 pin 120 mm on Fanmate minimum perform reasonable OK (not quiet but not too loud. But I would also like to have the rpm signal. I have another 120 mm fan that sound like a train even at Fanmante minimum. So I thought it would be nice if I can swap the 2 IC boards.

Is this doable, or it's too stupid even to think about? :oops:

I've read another post on putting rpm signal on 2 pin fan - but that sounds way out of my league. A few simple soldering will be ok though.

BTW: I live in Thailand and have no access to good/quiet 120 mm fan (or even 80 or 92 mm quiet fan on SPCR list), unless I online order from US/Europe and pay 3-4 times more for postage/handling.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:27 pm

Sorry, but As FarAs I Know, it isn't possible to do the kind of swap you're talking about. The fan innards are very tightly tied to the boards and are pretty much of a matched set with the fan hubs, so swapping would be a real problem. It is made even more difficult by the fact that the controlling circuitry is part of the fan structure itself to the point where I'm not sure you could even get the parts out without destroying the fans.

Gooserider

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:08 am

Gooserider, Thanks.

I can pretty much confirm what you said. After posting my question I decided to go ahead trying to open the hub of the loud fan using primitive tools that I have since I will not have any need for this fan anyway.

In the process of cutting the top of the fan hub (very very slow process) to almost complete, somehow I was too rush trying to ply it open with flat head screwdriver and damaged the IC board as a result. Bad decision :oops: .

Anyway, even if I could get the board out undamage, from the look of it I do not think I could possibly put it in another fan as I wanted.

Well, another lesson learned for me. :)