how can you stop air noise ?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pitch

how can you stop air noise ?

Post by pitch » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:35 am

hi,

trying to sort my setup out and there is only a little bit of sound coming out now, but it appears to be an air sound.

I've cut off the back grill for my slk3000b, what else can i do ?

cheers, mark................

BigDu21

Post by BigDu21 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:46 am

Hey Pitch,
Assuming you're dealing with a fan in the back of the case, used as exhaust, you might try making a muffler for it - take box sized for the perimeter of the fan, and put some sound absorbtion material in it. Make sure to leave room for the air to get thru, but force it to flow through a path filled with material and it should cut the noise some.

If you're looking at a fan in the front of the case; you might try moving it further into the case, if possible. That moves the noise further from you, and you and use the same muffler-type device inside the case to prevent noise from leaking out. Keep in mind this method would use quite a bit of space inside the case.

I built one out of some melamine foam that seemed to do quite nicely, obviously the method isn't perfect but it's a possibility for you. I used the mufflers shown here as my template: http://www.muffledcomputing.com/why.html

You might also try reducing the fan's speed if it isn't already running a <12 volts.

Hope those suggestions help, good luck.

pitch

Post by pitch » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:37 am

hi,

slight change, had some paxmate delivered , which has been added to the case but has confused me some what.

The base of the noise appears to be the cooler on my chaintech 6800 gfx card but the overall sound is not that, it seems a mixture.

Shoved me head inside the case before i put the side on and im certain there is no recognisable noise coming from fans, cpu cooler or hard disk what else can it be ?

cheers ,mark.....

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:46 am

One way to reduce "wind" noise as you call it.......increase the fan sizes. That way you can blow the same volume of air at a lower velosity.....usually less noisy.

The other thing you might be hearing....a restricted intake area. Does the noise change when you have the side cover open? You could try to equalize the pressure in the case by a more powerful intake fan.

Noise like you describe might be difficult to pin-point.

pitch

Post by pitch » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:08 pm

hi,

have nexus 120mm fans front/back, psu (enermax noisetaker) has 80mm by the looks on low settings.

aside from the gfx card, which is nigh on silent if i use gainward expert tool and alter the min speed on 2d to 30 (aside from a bit of fan whine), all the noise is definately air.

Best description i can give is that it sounds like a desk fan blowing air but i put my ears to the fans and they dont make any noise.

will check about the side panel being off and see if it alters.

mark.........

pitch

Post by pitch » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:53 am

hi,

noise is the same with the side cover open or even off.

mark.........

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:22 am

sounds like you don't have the noise pin-pointed yet. you should open the case, stop all the fans with your fingers, and see if you can still hear the noise. if it is gone, then just experiment with stopping different fans until you figure out the offender(s). if you still hear it, then it is likely a hard drive... but to be sure you should try booting up with the hard drive disconnected. it's hard to find a solution when you don't know the problem yet :wink: . let us know what you find by doing this and i'm sure we can help you from there.

pitch

Post by pitch » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:53 am

hi,

k, will try that.

Whats the best/safest way to stop fans without damaging them ?

cheers, mark........

BigDu21

Post by BigDu21 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:09 pm

To stop a fan, start your computer, and let it boot and get stabilized. Then open up the computer and pick a fan. Take a finger and gently press it on the hub of the fan, slowing it down until it is stopped. Take 5 or 10 seconds and listen to the noise without the current fan; then remove your finger to allow the fan to restart. Now compare the noise level/quality to what you heard with the fan stopped. Repeat for each fan. That should give you some idea of what's loudest and/or has the most irritating quality.

Hope that helps,

--Jim

pitch

Post by pitch » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:56 am

cheers Jim.

scotty6435

Post by scotty6435 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:03 pm

Chances are it's the graphics card cooler as if it's standard it'll be loud. My advice is to grab an arctic cooler or zalman VF700 and connect the fan directly to the motherboard then use spmething like speedfan to closely regulate fan speeds.

pitch

Post by pitch » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:02 am

hi,

yeah a chunk of it is the cooler, as i use gainward expert tool to turn the fan down and the noise is reduced a lot.

but the remainder is plain air noise that i cant hear with my ear against the fans so i'm going to work round them as described earlier.

mark..........