Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H fan related query

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ddlooping
Friend of SPCR

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H fan related query

Post by ddlooping » Sun May 04, 2008 4:45 pm

Hi all. :)

I'm having a problem with the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H in my new and first build.

I followed the Speedfan guide in its help section and believe it's configured correctly.
"Speed01" and "Speed02" (Ninja Mini fan and case fan) change according to the CPU and system temps.
However, Speedfan is not able to change the real speed of the fans whether the "Smart-Control" and "Cool&Quiet" settings are disabled or enabled in the bios.

Because of the above, both the Ninja Mini fan and case fan are controlled by the bios "Smart-Control" function.
The case temperature being pretty stable at ~33C, the case fan is always at ~800RPM, even when stress-testing the system with Orthos.
However, the CPU fan then ramps-up to full speed and gets fairly noisy.

- Do any of you, SPCR fans gurus, know how to set-up Speedfan in combination with this motherboard?

- If not, I intend to replace the Ninja Mini 80mm fan with a quieter 92mm one.
Any recommendation?

Thanks in advance. ;)

ddlooping
Friend of SPCR

Post by ddlooping » Mon May 05, 2008 7:19 am

Making a duct from the case fan to the Ninja Mini and removing the fan from the latter has solved the problem. :)

@ moderator: please feel free to delete this thread. ;)

charonme

how did it help?

Post by charonme » Thu May 29, 2008 11:55 pm

I'm sorry but I don't see how making a duct made it possible for speedfan to control the fan speeds. I've read reports that speedfan has problems with this board so I would like to know if it is possible to make it work before buying it.

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Post by JoeWPgh » Fri May 30, 2008 1:27 am

I've had several problems with Speedfan and this board. Lack of fan control is the least of them. When watching SD cable TV with Speedfan running, the video can be unwatchable due to a regular freezing/lurching. Imagine someone hitting your pause button every few seconds for a 1/2 a second. Turning off Speedfan eliminated this problem. When watching HD material, the playback is fine - until the screen goes white and the computer freezes until you reboot. This doesn't happen all the time, but it never happens when Speedfan is not running. I'm not saying this to knock Speedfan or the board. I'm partial to both. I just gave up trying to get the 2 to play nice together.

ddlooping
Friend of SPCR

Re: how did it help?

Post by ddlooping » Fri May 30, 2008 5:31 am

charonme wrote:I'm sorry but I don't see how making a duct made it possible for speedfan to control the fan speeds.
Sorry, I should have made it clearer.
In my case, the duct removed the need for SpeedFan. ;)