HELP.. Quiet+Performance Fan Setup On Corsair Obsidian

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Nightingale

HELP.. Quiet+Performance Fan Setup On Corsair Obsidian

Post by Nightingale » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:20 pm

Howdy all!

For the past few days I have been racking my brains over selecting the right fans for my new case. I am looking at achieving a Semi Silent PC that can be turned up with a Fan controller into performance mode when needed. As of right now one of the problems I am having is selecting the proper fans, understanding what fans to use on what parts of the case.

Currently these are the Parts I plan to acquire in order to achieve this:

FAN controller: Scythe Kaze Server 5.25IN 4 Channel

What do you guys think of this controller any good, I need a controller that alows me to instantly switch between quiet mode and performance mode with the push of a button, rather than having to manually turn the knob each time, can this controller do this, if not what do you recommend

Fan for OCZ VENDETTA 2 Heatsink:
Scythe S-Flex G or SCYTHE SLIP STREAM SY122512SH
(Was also Thinking "Gentle Typhoon", not sure if Static Pressure is big issue here)

Here is Diagram which Illustrates the Air Flow in my case as well as the Fan locations

At the Top of my case there is 3x120mm fan holes

I am not really sure what fans to use here, I was thinking to use Scythe SlipStreams since they have a good CFM to noise ratio. Not sure weather to get the SH or M version. Also since the Slipstreams are sleeve bearings I was told they are not good mounted horizontally. IF not the SlipStrems i was then thinking of using the S-flex G's, would this be a good or better choice?

Now Here is what Intend to do

As you can see I plan to reverse the fan on the rear exhaust in order to draw fresh Air into the CPU-Heatsink . I assume since I will have 3 fans sucking at the top that this should not be an issue since the hot air exhausting out of the Heatsink would be sucked up immediately by the 3 Top fans.

Near the bottom of the case is a 140mm fan used to suck fresh cold air into the case.

I need to replace the Factory stock fan since it's too weak. I was planning on using a Kazemaru 2 Wide Blade Bearing 1200RPM fan or maybe even a Noctua 140mm. Any Suggestions on a good versatile 140mm fan.

If anybody has any suggestions or recommendations they would be greatly appreciated.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:39 am

Welcome to SPCR!

That is a new and different case -- it looks like you will have overkill on the fans -- the three top exhaust fans will generate plenty of air flow, and I cannot imagine that you would need any fans on the CPU heatsink or the rear grill. A baffle (or duct) would surely suffice, and would save a fair bit of noise.