If there a more silent fan for a VF900?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

WARDOZER9

If there a more silent fan for a VF900?

Post by WARDOZER9 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:23 pm

Okay, as I go thru the fans in my system one by one trying to discern the different noises each one makes I noticed my 5 volted VF900 fan gives off a faint bearing noise so I was wondering if anyone knows of a more silent fan I can replace the stock one with. I know because of the mounting I may not even have another option but I was just wondering.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:52 pm

Hi!

Many members have used full sized 80 mm fan blades to replace their VF-900's fan. Nexus 80mm RealSilent is nice option. It takes three slots then but is quieter. With Search Function you can search if you can find the pictures.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:55 am

I swapped the fan in VF-900, here.
I later swapped the Noctua Fan for a Xilence 80mm fan, same mounting method, as the Noctua fan had been damaged by being jammed by stray cable and therefore it and the card got fried! :(
Regards, Seb

Darth Santa Fe

Post by Darth Santa Fe » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:50 am

I once mounted an Enermax Marathon to a VF700 (which uses the same fan as the VF900). It was almost completely silent, even at full speed (not having the "box" around the fan got rid of all turbulence noise). Mounting can be done with some sort of glue or a strong double-sided tape. Or you can figure out some sort of new bracket or find a way to use wire-ties.

If you want to be cheap, use an 80mm Apevia fan. You can get a non-LED version for $2, and aside from a faint resonance from the clear plastic, they are the quietest 80mm fans I've ever used. :D