How and where to attach tempurature probes

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GlassMan

How and where to attach tempurature probes

Post by GlassMan » Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:38 am

Hi All,
I have an CoolerMaster Aerogate III (same as the CM Cooldrive 6 -harddrive cooler) coming in Monday with an Thermalright XP 120 and Arctic Cooler NV5 following shortly.
My Chaintech VNF3-250 has no fan control and the cpu temps reads close to 80C. I plan on using the Aerogate to monitor temps of the cpu, gpu, power supply, and either chipset or "ambiant" and control the cpu and gpu fan speeds. The Aerogate has no automatic fan control function. I may also control a side fan speed. The two 120mm case fans are (apparently) dead silent at 12v. This may change when I get the BFG 6800GT quieted down.

I would like to finalize the temp sensor (4 flat style) positions on my current set up for comparisons sake, as well having all the wires routed before I install the new heat sinks.

Since I've never done this before any tips, modifications, help of any type would be appreciated. No I won't put a sensor between a chip and heatsink!!! If I can get some good data on these new products I will report to the appropriate forum.

Thanks in advance!!

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:31 pm

For a CPU, the best place IS between the HS and the chip carrier. NOT between the die and the HS, but next to the die in the gap between the carrier and the HS. Otherwise the best bet is to figure out where the airflow hits the various parts you want to monitor, and put the sensors on the side AWAY from the airflow, and in contact with the parts as much as you can.

Gooserider

GlassMan

Post by GlassMan » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:08 am

Thanks Gooserider, I appreciate the airflow trick, all my research didn't turn that up. I've been playing with the sensors and the are indeed sensitive to air flow. I'm assuming the carrier is the circuit board the a64 is mounted to. Thanks again.

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:15 pm

Thanks Gooserider, I appreciate the airflow trick, all my research didn't turn that up. I've been playing with the sensors and the are indeed sensitive to air flow.
You're welcome. The airflow thing is one of those 'obvious' things that nobody thinks to point out, but as you are finding out, it does make a difference.
I'm assuming the carrier is the circuit board the a64 is mounted to. Thanks again.

Yes, that's what it is. The kind of thing that's sort of hard to put a name on that differentiates between the die and the rest of the chip surface... Things were so much simpler back in the old days when chips were so cool you didn't have to worry about temps :)

Nik7304

Post by Nik7304 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:04 am

Glassman,

Could you tell me what you think of the Aerogate III now that you've used it for a while? Is it a good fan controller, easy to use, etc? I've been looking around for one for a system I'm planning and the AIII looks pretty decent.

Thanks,
Nik