Calling All Good Fans!

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fallenturtle

Post by fallenturtle » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:00 am

MikeC wrote:ATTN to everyone who sent me a fan:

I'd like to thank you all and would appreciate it very much if you could send me an email giving me your name, forum name and the fan(s) you sent. I have such a huge pile of fans that it's been well-nigh impossible to keep track of where they all came from.

I am trying to get enough of the testing done to post the first installment of the big fan roundup in the next week or two, at least of the best models.
The Recommended Fan list says it was last updated in Aug 04, does this mean it hasn't been updated with any results from this test? I realize you are superbusy, but I was just curious. :)

alexo

Post by alexo » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:28 am

fallenturtle wrote:The Recommended Fan list says it was last updated in Aug 04, does this mean it hasn't been updated with any results from this test? I realize you are superbusy, but I was just curious. :)
I would also like to know.

If you don't have the time to update the review, how about posting a quick summary of the test?

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:53 am

Would like to see an update as well. We are getting tons of case, heatsink, and PSU reviews, while the fans collect dust.

agus_c_o

Post by agus_c_o » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:45 pm

am I the only one still waiting for a revision of the Recommended Fans?

dvasco

Post by dvasco » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:58 pm

agus_c_o wrote:am I the only one still waiting for a revision of the Recommended Fans?
Alexo, Sizzle, fallenturtle, and I are also waiting. Even though I hadn't read reviews well enough and put an AGP 6600GT in one of my computers, I should have purchased the Gigabyte one with the Zalman heatsink, oh well. Now, no matter what case fan I put in the video card fan causes more noise than I want.

Laz Winterz

Post by Laz Winterz » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:56 pm

I'm waiting but not as long as most :)

zombunny

Post by zombunny » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:18 pm

MikeC can you test the Acoustifan Dustproofs here is a link particulary the 120mm model, thanks

http://www.quietpc.com/uk/casefans.php# ... ndustproof

alexo

Post by alexo » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:25 pm

<Elvis> MikeC has left the building </Elvis>

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:46 pm

Greetings,
zombunny wrote:MikeC can you test the Acoustifan Dustproofs here is a link particulary the 120mm model, thanks

http://www.quietpc.com/uk/casefans.php# ... ndustproof
I'm curious; why are these called "Dustproof"?

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:33 pm

Hi Neil,

that Acoustifan is an ADDA IP55-rated fan. That's why it's "dustproof". I actually posted about these in the "would you buy a custom fan" -thread. There are some dB(A)s missing from the Acoustifan data when compared to the original ADDA.

Gee, what a surprise :roll:

zombunny

Post by zombunny » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:06 am

Some sort of magical sticker covers the internal fan bits, stopping dust and quieting the motor, just want someone to check, getting a lot of stick, as here everyone is bias, just get nexus, problem is I live in the UK, so looking for a good quality fan nearer to home and I have seen legit reviews on these dustproofs, I just want spcr to check.

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:23 am

Hi zombunny,

well not everyone is biased. I'm sceptical towards all of the relabelled fans. Don't get me wrong, many of them are quiet when you get them, but usually the specs have either lower dB(A) or higher CFM (or both) than the manufacturer spec.

I think people recommend the Nexus because it is so hyped here and to many people it's their first experience with a really quiet fan. So without even properly comparing it to other good and quiet fans they jump on the wagon and start praising Nexus. OK, it is usually a quiet fan and good for many SPCR users, but it is _overpriced_! I've always said I will buy 2-4 120mm Yate Loons for the price of a 120mm Nexus.

The Acoustifan might be OK, but the price is freaking ridiculous! :shock:

I personally like Papst, Yate Loon and Globe in the 120mm range (well yes Nexus also in that list). 120mm Panaflo is also nice, but I somehow shy away from it because of the thickness (38mm vs the "normal" 25mm).

Check out Silencio's shop for different fans (good prices, SPCR discount and cheap shipping to UK). Also do check the fan reviews by the SPCR user frankgehry. He's compared quite a few 120mm fans against each other (Papst, Yate Loon, Coolermaster, Globe), maybe that will help your decision.

zombunny

Post by zombunny » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:05 am

Thanks, I'm still opting for the dustproofs as I plan on running them at 5v so noise should never be a problem, Silencio's shop for different fans, is a good site, unfortunately I only speak a little german, besides I found a site, endpcnoise which is really good value for me as it's all dollars which is really cheap compared to my sterling, once again thanks.

Rory Buszka

Post by Rory Buszka » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:16 am

So is this big fan roundup actually going to happen here pretty soon?

If they haven't been suggested yet, test the 25mm, low-speed Delta Tri-Blade fans from Sidewinder computers, and the Akasa Amber fans (with the amber colored impeller). Probably not for this fan roundup, but for the next one.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:07 am

I have a feeling the list has already been determined. There is a review of a delta fan (rebranded by coolermaster) in the coolermaster hyper 48 HSF review. It is pretty good.

There are already quite a few fan reviews buried in psu, heat sink, and case reviews.

Regarding the fan round up, since most readers will be interested in undervolted results with sound levels <20dba, spl measurements will not be very accurate and subjective evaluations will be more useful. Does it really matter what a recording sounds like 3" from the fan? - FG

I believe sidewindercomputers was asked by a reader to submit low speed triple blades for testing but they declined.
Last edited by frankgehry on Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:36 am

These fans have been gathered during the two years. If the fans have been just sitting on a shelf the bearings don't like that. Although that will affect some fans / bearings more than others.

Measuring them will be difficult (see previous) and just having comments on fans isn't probably worth the work as the SPCR forums are full of user comments on various fans.

Rory Buszka

Post by Rory Buszka » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:32 pm

Removed to protect some valuable information and/or novel techniques. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Last edited by Rory Buszka on Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:19 am

Rory Buszka wrote: http://www.trueaudio.com/rta_abt1.htm
The full version which shows bands of 1/24 of an octave is $99.95. Hardly expensive. And it would give us new eyes for understanding fan noise.
If something like this was adopted by SPCR (obviously with a defined reference set-up) it might allow those with the facilities to provide some relateable test results instead of relying on Mike to test all the fans himself. It would also allow quick response testing of new release products.
All you'd need is a reference airflow measurement device.....

Have you used this sofware Rory and do you think it would it work as I suggest :?:

Rory Buszka

Post by Rory Buszka » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:17 pm

Removed to protect some valuable information and/or novel techniques. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Last edited by Rory Buszka on Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:41 am

What should I use for HDD cooling in the front of the case in 92mm size?
I only need very-very silent fan recommendations! :)

The Coolink X9 1100 did not worked out for me well (noticeable motor sound)

BR!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:19 pm

Hello,

Scythe DF 1600RPM undervolted, or the Nexus...

Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:55 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,

Scythe DF 1600RPM undervolted, or the Nexus...
Hi!

Thanks for the recommendation! Both are sold here. The Nexus is around 10€, the Scythe is around 16€ (but he 120mm version)

The Scythe is not available in 92mm size, as far as I know... :(

BR!

dealerovska

NorthQ 3702 Silent Tornado

Post by dealerovska » Tue May 02, 2006 2:16 pm

Have you tested the NorthQ 3702 Silent Tornado 120mm FAN? just wanted to make you assure of its existence ;)

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue May 02, 2006 7:16 pm

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:01 pm

maybe we just put our faith in jmke and his site?

Rory Buszka

Post by Rory Buszka » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:10 pm

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:50 am

My apologies for the ridiculously long development time for this project.

We're finally fully equipped with tools that will enable a complete range of tests to be conducted fairly efficiently, and we'll be releasing the results in sections, starting with the most widely recommended quiet fans.

The gear includes:
* new infrared tachometer
* anenometer
* B&K SLM
* upgraded sound recording system

I'd like to ask everyone who has sent fan samples to send an email with the header "FAN DONATION" reminding me what you sent so that your contribution can be attributed when these articles are finally published. Thanks to all the contributors, both individuals and companies, we probably have nearly 200 fan samples to test.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:16 pm

I might have sent a money donation to allow someone to obtain an ADDA 60mm. It's been so long that I can't remember if I actually did that or only thought about it :(

Anyway, they became near impossible to obtain. Don't waste your time trying to find out if I did or didn't :)

CraiginNJ
Patron of SPCR

Post by CraiginNJ » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:35 pm

MikeC [size=75]on Fri Sep 08, 2006[/size] wrote:My apologies for the ridiculously long development time for this project. . . . . We're finally fully equipped with tools . . . . I'd like to ask everyone who has sent fan samples to send an email with the header "FAN DONATION" reminding me what you sent so that your contribution can be attributed when these articles are finally published. Thanks to all the contributors, both individuals and companies, we probably have nearly 200 fan samples to test.
Yow, that sounds like a lot of fans to test.

I hope you still have the Papst 120mm 4412 F/2GLL and F/2GLLL (extra-quiet/low-flow and extra-extra quiet models) that I sent you back in June 2005. (I bought those just for you from Germany back when I ordered a plain quiet one for myself.)

I don't want an attribution; I just want to know whether these hard-to-get models are actually quieter at 12v than what most people assume is quietest. (It wouldn't surprise me if they're comparable in airflow & noise to some others at 7v and 5v, respectively.)

Craig in NJ

gearhead364

Post by gearhead364 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:35 pm

Is there any chance that the Enermax Marathon, HERE , can be tested; looks interesting and it would be a good way of determining how much noise is produced by bearings.