Noctua NF-P12 Premium Fan fine as a case exhaust fan?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PMcG

Noctua NF-P12 Premium Fan fine as a case exhaust fan?

Post by PMcG » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:18 am

Hello All,

NCIX has a sale on right now so that I can get the Noctua NHU12-P on sale for $30 with a 2500K. This would work best for me saving money if I just used the 1 fan in a push config and mounted the other on the back panel exhaust. My plan then would be to have a define mini running both stock fans on the front undervolted on the controller and one noctua on the heatsink and one on the back panel. Would this work well and is it worth it getting now instead of buying a Xigmatek Gaia and Scythe S-Flex 800rpm for the back panel. I will not be overclocking for a while so I think just 1 fan is needed on the heaksink.

Suggestions please the sale ends tomorrow.

Not sure if this is a fan or heatsink question lol.

quest_for_silence

Re: Noctua NF-P12 Premium Fan fine as a case exhaust fan?

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:54 am

PMcG wrote:Not sure if this is a fan or heatsink question lol.

It's a not well formed fan question, IMO. :wink:

At anyway, do you really think it would make any actual difference using a Slipstream 800rpm or an undervolted Noctua P12 running around 750-800rpm? No, it's about the same (maybe the Scythe might give some cfm more, but very few if in case).
On the contrary the Noctua have a much higher sound level at full speed, obviously.

So, if you already use a software or a rheobus to control your fans, you can evenly got your deal (I think that it should be almost the same if you run the P12 through some Noctua adapter cable).
If you want to run the fans at full speed, personally I wouldn't do so.

PMcG

Post by PMcG » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:45 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
PMcG wrote:Not sure if this is a fan or heatsink question lol.

It's a not well formed fan question, IMO. :wink:

Fair enough i guess I got all caught up in the noctua's site this is designed for cpu coolers talk. Thanks for answering my question, yes I will use the ULNA to drop it to 800rpm.

For a first time builder do you think it is risky buying the processor and heatsink ~2months in advance of when I plan on building this? I just figured that the 2500K was a solid processor (may overclock or may use integrated video, havn't decided yet) to go with and getting the noctua for 30 (down from 80) and not having to buy another fan was too good to pass up.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:49 pm

PMcG wrote:For a first time builder do you think it is risky buying the processor and heatsink ~2months in advance of when I plan on building this? I just figured that the 2500K was a solid processor (may overclock or may use integrated video, havn't decided yet) to go with and getting the noctua for 30 (down from 80) and not having to buy another fan was too good to pass up.

IMO your question is a tricky one: Intel in last years breaks us into somehow regular price cuts, and then AMD Bulldozer will be about a month to coming; OTOH Intel has virtually no announced future desktop CPUs for Q2 2011, you can't know how much you will save over 2500K current prices, and probably 2500K CPU power is already much more than you can actually use.

Eventually if I were you I would probably buy, because if nothing else, always waiting for the right time, in fact you should never buy anything.

PMcG

Post by PMcG » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:43 pm

Thanks for your help Luca, just ordered.