Noise from Nexus Silent 80mm PWM

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jcoffin1981

Noise from Nexus Silent 80mm PWM

Post by jcoffin1981 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:15 pm

I changed my stock jet engine CPU fan with fan that I have been hearing people rave about. It is certainly quiet but there is always a certain hum coming from this fan. I have a Noctua NF-R8 on the case and it is pretty darn close to silent. The Nexus is ok but overall I'm not happy with it. I have heard that most PWM fans have this sort of hum/vibration. Is this true? Did I just get a bad one? Can someone recommend a better fan? I have a P4 3.06 Prescott Occ'd to 3.6 and I have no temperature problems whatsoever. (Although we'll see what happens this summer...) I would love to throw the Noctua fan in but I fear that it will not move quite enough air for a CPU. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

quest_for_silence

Re: Noise from Nexus Silent 80mm PWM

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:07 am

jcoffin1981 wrote:I changed my stock jet engine CPU fan with fan that I have been hearing people rave about.

Where? Not here I suppose: AFAIK Nexus PWM fans are not highly regarded here (on the contrary of their voltage controlled brothers).
However, you may give a try to the inexpensive Arctic Cooling F8 PWM, if you mind.
jcoffin1981 wrote:I would love to throw the Noctua fan in but I fear that it will not move quite enough air for a CPU. What are your thoughts?

I have a couple: it's a 1800rpm fan, so if in case it's fully suitable IF your mobo's cpu fan header can effectively drive 3-pin fan along with PWM one. At anyway, providing that a fan is a good one, to have it quiet is a matter of control (SpeedFan, rheobus, et c.).

ces

Post by ces » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:10 pm

jcoffin1981 wrote:I would love to throw the Noctua fan in but I fear that it will not move quite enough air for a CPU. What are your thoughts?
In my opinion the Noctua 92mm may be the best 92mm fan around.

jcoffin1981

Post by jcoffin1981 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:20 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
jcoffin1981 wrote:I changed my stock jet engine CPU fan with fan that I have been hearing people rave about.

Where? Not here I suppose: AFAIK Nexus PWM fans are not highly regarded here (on the contrary of their voltage controlled brothers).
However, you may give a try to the inexpensive Arctic Cooling F8 PWM, if you mind.

I have a couple: it's a 1800rpm fan, so if in case it's fully suitable IF your mobo's cpu fan header can effectively drive 3-pin fan along with PWM one. At anyway, providing that a fan is a good one, to have it quiet is a matter of control (SpeedFan, rheobus, et c.).
Ohh, perhaps it was the 3 pin Nexus. Hmmm. I'll try the Arctic Cooling, Thanks. One thing I do like about the Nexus is that it has a high range of speed- from 1000 to 2800 RPM's. Hey does anyone know what size CPU fan screws are? I need a few and can't find them anywhere. These are the ones that screw the fan into the heatsink. Case fan screws however seem to be standard and easily found.

jcoffin1981

Post by jcoffin1981 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:25 pm

ces wrote:
In my opinion the Noctua 92mm may be the best 92mm fan around.
The R8 is the best 80mm fan that I've seen. I'm thinking of replacing my 80mm Noctua case fan and replacing it with the 92mm one. I'm then putting the R8 in the power supply. And then replace that damn noisy Nexus. Even at low speeds its quite loud.