It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Case airflow
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:11 am 

Hi!

I'm awaiting the arrival of my soon-to-be brand new Antec SLK3700BQE. I'm wondering in what way I'm going to manage the airflow.

I want it to be a over-preassure inside the cabinet so that dusty air won't be sucked in by any under-preassure. So the principle I'm working under is quite simple: cfm IN > cfm OUT. How should I do this?

The standard 120mm rear fan equipped with the cabinet have 39cfm (or so I have read).

I have no idea of the cfm-rate of the PSU (Antec Smartpower 350s w/ 80mm fan). I'm guessing it is cfm OUT?

I'm buying a smartcooler 120mm fan for the front of the cabinet, and this has 60cfm.

I originally thought of just turning the airflow of the two 120mm fans into the cabinet, and just have the PSU take care of the heat exhaust. But I have read a bit about the cabinet, and it seems as if everybody uses the rear fan to suck the warm cpu-air OUT of the cabinet. If I should do this, then I think I'm going to have a hard time matching the cfm OUT with my single 120mm / 60cfm IN.

I'm using dust-filtering for the fans, and I would really hate it if my new computer should have to look like the dust-bag of a vacuum-cleaner before long! I want to filter all the air that goes into the cabinet. But if only having a 80mm fan extracting the hot air results in systemcrash due to heat, then it's not much use having a dust-free system, is it?!

So, how should I manage the flow? Appreciate all the help I can get!