saving speedfan settings on windows

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

saving speedfan settings on windows

Post by dan » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:00 pm

hello,

i'm not sure if this forum, or cooling cpus, or fan and control is best but...

as a silent pc enthusiast, i decided (reluctantly) to add fans back b/c the PSU gets extremely hot to touch, and i plan to use speedfan to spin down the fans, using the 3-wire connection and 3-wire fan.

it does work, but when i 1- exit the program or 2- turn off the computer and restart or 3- when my overclocked pc reboots spontaneous ;-)
silentfan, which i have to start at launch, does not save the settings.

i have used speedfan to manually set it to slowest setting, 5% on the control panel. i do not know what "automatic varieted" means, but checking that box does not make much difference, either with fan speed or saving settings. i do not know if temperature settings make much difference.

what i would like to do is set the setting to 5% RPM, and have it "save" when windows loads up at boottime so fans spin at a virtually inaudible 5% of maximum speed.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:56 pm

Under "Configure", "Options", do you have it set to "set fans to 100% on program exit"?

Try unchecking that.

Have you tried reading the help file that comes with Speedfan? It does a prety good of explaining the configuration.

And I moved this to Fans & Control. :lol:

dan

Post by dan » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:26 am

thanks Rusty,

you are 100% correct. when i exit the program, it resets to 100% on exit. i saw the box you mentioned exactly where you said it would be, and it was checked "100% at exit" i unchecked it and it did not work, BUT

in addition to what you said, i checked "automatic fan speed" and set minimum and maximum at the same value of 10%.

seems to work fine now. fans are very quiet although audible.

i ripped out the PSU fan and replaced it with a 3-wire fan. perhaps this should be a seperate thread -- as a result of ripping out the original PSU fan, and connecting this 3-wire fan, i can spin it down using speedfan so now the PSU is very quiet. (5-10% RPM is very quiet).

i had no software control i knew of over the PSU fan. i can take pics if anyone is interested, though i don't know how ot post them on this forum, there's no "attach pics" like on my yahoo email account.

bomba

Post by bomba » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:10 pm

dan wrote:thanks Rusty,

you are 100% correct. when i exit the program, it resets to 100% on exit. i saw the box you mentioned exactly where you said it would be, and it was checked "100% at exit" i unchecked it and it did not work, BUT

in addition to what you said, i checked "automatic fan speed" and set minimum and maximum at the same value of 10%.

seems to work fine now. fans are very quiet although audible.

i ripped out the PSU fan and replaced it with a 3-wire fan. perhaps this should be a seperate thread -- as a result of ripping out the original PSU fan, and connecting this 3-wire fan, i can spin it down using speedfan so now the PSU is very quiet. (5-10% RPM is very quiet).

i had no software control i knew of over the PSU fan. i can take pics if anyone is interested, though i don't know how ot post them on this forum, there's no "attach pics" like on my yahoo email account.
This all sounds scetchy at best. Speedfan is designed to vary fan speed based on temperature. Typical usage is to vary CPU HSF speed based on reported CPU temperature, or vary case fans based on reported HDD and/or case temps.

I would not recommend using speedfan to control PSU fan speed since (to my knowledge) PSU temps cannot be monitored by speedfan. Locking PSU fan speed to 10% sounds like a recipe for disaster. I hope at least you put your hand in front of the PSU exhaust or on the PSU housing itself to get a sense for how hot it is, now that its fan is locked to 1/10th its normal design speed.

BTW, Speedfan does have an excellent tutorial that guides you through proper configuration, you may want to check it out!

dan

Post by dan » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:24 pm

hi bomba,

well this is silent pc computing right?
originally i had it fanless and it seemed to work ok though heatsink was blisteringly hot to touch and the powersupply had a plastic smell to it. SO
i added one fan, but i set it to the point it is (almost) INAUDIBLE by using speed fan. doesn't matter to me about temps, as long as it doesn't have that chemical plastic smell and the chassis by the PSU is cool to touch i'm happy as clams :)

(setting silentfan to 5% got rid of the heat and plastic smell)

-dan

bomba

Post by bomba » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:18 am

dan wrote:hi bomba,

well this is silent pc computing right?
originally i had it fanless and it seemed to work ok though heatsink was blisteringly hot to touch and the powersupply had a plastic smell to it. SO
i added one fan, but i set it to the point it is (almost) INAUDIBLE by using speed fan. doesn't matter to me about temps, as long as it doesn't have that chemical plastic smell and the chassis by the PSU is cool to touch i'm happy as clams :)

(setting silentfan to 5% got rid of the heat and plastic smell)

-dan
Glad it works for you, at least in the short-term. I still don't think your setup's such a hot idea...wait a minute I guess it is a hot idea :wink: Good that you at least got rid of the plastic (burning) smell; probably your PSU primary transformer coils overheating.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:34 pm

.wait a minute I guess it is a hot idea Good that you at least got rid of the plastic (burning) smell; probably your PSU primary transformer coils overheating.\

LOL nice sense of humor
i thought it was ozone myself.

i bought my aopen case with PSU for liek $40 at myaopen.com, that's less than what the PSU alone costs at many stores.

i spent $50 for celeron and $40 for motherboard, so i feel i can "experiment" :)

i have considered getting another PSU since i had another thread, my overclocked tualatin celeron reboots randomly and some have suggested it is due to insufficient power from powersupply.

in the meantime i've put a fan in there and set it to 5% rpm and it is almost silent.

if you want to see pics just tell me how and i'll be happy 2 post :)