Enermax UC-9FATR2.....multi-function fan controller.

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Enermax UC-9FATR2.....multi-function fan controller.

Post by Bluefront » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:20 pm

I've always been a sucker for multi-function devices. This new Enermax device is amazing in its' usefulness.

It can run the fans down to 4v (always starts at 12v, then drops back to your setting).

Some points to consider....a bunch of wires to hide, very bright lights in the control knobs (easily fixed), difficult mounting if your case uses a rail-type mount, smaller LCD panel than most similar devices (only displays one temp/rpm reading at a time).

Everything else works perfect.....no drivers required for Windows XP. Love it. :D

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:24 pm

Ahhh there needs to be more devices that start fans at 12v and drops them back to your set voltage. That's just a good idea.

But that thing is PRICEY! Jeez... Who really needs all those card readers anyways?

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:25 pm

and CONGRATULATIONS on 1000 posts. You're like a junky now.

VultureJ

Post by VultureJ » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:39 pm

I have to admit, I was very tempted by the Enermax fan controller. The price doesn't really bother me, given what it is capable of, but instead I decided to go with a Super Flower Fan Master. The Super Flower has a larger display, and although I'm unsure of the voltage range, I was able to drop a 120mm Vantec Stealth fan down to a around 650RPM. (Yes, I know, I know, the Vantec Stealth sucks, and actually, my AcoustiFans should be arriving tomorrow).

The main thing to consider is that the connectors for the USB and Firewire are meant to go outside of the case (unless you have a rare PCI card that has regular USB and Firewire connectors), and that means that your case isn't quite as sealed as you might like, if you run those cables outside of the case. It might mean some extra noise escaping.

I do like the idea of the SATA connectors though, that's definitely forward thinking, even though I don't think that hotswapping SATA is supported in any operating system yet.

-- Joe

Sledge

Post by Sledge » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:04 am

The idea of starting a fan at 12V and dropping the voltage after a few seconds is excellent.

But why is the device so incredibly hideous?

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:15 am

Does it employ PWM? Can it control a CPU fan (AeroCool HT-101 specificaly)?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:37 pm

As with everything, appearance is a matter of personal choice. I like the looks of it because of how well it works...

I don't know about PWM on this thing. It would control every computer fan I've ever seen....right now it's controlling an Evercool 120mm that's in my PSU. The noise of the fan didn't change when I hooked it up this way. I'm pleased so far. I don't see or envision any problems with it. The card reader is USB 2.0....and fast.

Yeah I busted 1000 posts in this thread. I hope I've contributed in my own small way to the great computer hardware site SPCR has become.... :D