Is this the fan I'm looking for?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tyrdium

Is this the fan I'm looking for?

Post by Tyrdium » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:30 pm

'ello!

I'm considering getting this fan (putting in an order with Miyori). Is this the Evercool fan that everyone's been raving about? The model number seems the same, yet... different... Anywho, I also need to know if it's a 3-pin (with RPM monitoring) or Molex connector. I'd really rather get one with a 3-pin connector, so I can use the Fanmate and use one of the spots on my motherboard (as well as monitor RPM). If it's a Molex connector, I don't know if it's worth it. It's cheap enough ($10), though... Also, is it quieter than the stock fan that came with my SLK3700-BQE? Should I get a Panaflo L1A (bare wires, blah) or something instead?

Link

Also, I'm planning on getting this chipset cooler to replace the one on my MSI K8N Neo Platinum, as the case temperature (in the northbridge, no?) is 43 degrees Celsius as of now (running Firefox, nothing else except Norton Antivirus Auto-Protect), and the northbridge always feels very hot to the touch. Will it make much of a difference?

Oh yeah, and I'm getting another tube of Ceramique, since I'm going to need one for my NV Silencer 5, once I order it, and the tube I have is almost gone. ;)

Edit: Basically, I'm looking to get something fairly cheap from either Directron or Micro Center, that's quiet and supports RPM monitoring (highly wanted, but not necessary). Being able to use a Fanmate is a plus, but I can always build a 12/5 V switch if it uses a Molex connector... Also, should I get a new 80 mm fan for my PSU (stock from BQE)? If so, what? And is there a way to get the BQE power supply to support RPM monitoring?

Tyrdium

Post by Tyrdium » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:42 am

Ooo... kay... Also, is there a way to change the voltage output of the 3-pin fan connectors on the MSI K8N Neo Platinum?

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:39 pm

Sounds like it might be the same, but don't quote me... The biggest thing I noticed is that it is a thin (25mm) fan, as opposed to the more common thick (38mm) models, but I've never really looked to see what the popular Evercool is. It would probably be quieter than your stock fan (you didn't say what it is) but no guarantees. It also may or may not move as much air, so watch your temps if you use it.

Judging by the pix on the link, it looks to me like it has a molex connector as stock, with various options to get 3pin adapters, fanmates, etc. I'm not sure if the fan does RPM monitoring or not (but there is an alarm kit option which presumably does some sort of monitoring?) as the pic isn't that clear. It is possible if the fan has the RPM sensor for them to pull power from a molex and have a seperate connector that just sends the RPM signal somewhere else for monitoring. I would advise caution when considering plugging a 120mm fan into a mobo, as many of the mobo headers had very limited power and could easily get cooked if overloaded. This fan isn't to bad per the specs, but caution is still in order.

The NB heatsink is almost certainly going to be an improvement if your stock NB sink is smaller and passive. If the stock sink is active, its a bit harder to predict, but most of the reports I've seen suggest that it helps over most active sinks as long as the case has good airflow. It certainly would be quieter than any active sinks.

Don't have a clue about the mobo question...

(I mostly answered this cause nobody else was, there are better experts on the topics than I am...)

Good luck

Gooserider