Does sending low voltage damage fans/controllers?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ENSLAVER

Does sending low voltage damage fans/controllers?

Post by ENSLAVER » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:42 pm

I am just curious whether sending a fan that requires 6.5V to run a lower voltage (say ~4.7V, the fan would essentially be turned off) if it will damage either the fan or the controller, or worse the PSU.

Thanks!

ENSLAVER

Re: Does sending low voltage damage fans/controllers?

Post by ENSLAVER » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:02 pm

Also would be awesome if someone could recommend a 'cheap' 0v-12v controller without annoying LEDs :D

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:52 pm

ENSLAVER wrote:I am just curious whether sending a fan that requires 6.5V to run a lower voltage (say ~4.7V, the fan would essentially be turned off) if it will damage either the fan or the controller, or worse the PSU.

Thanks!
It will not damage a PSU, because 12V will still be sent to the fan controller. I doubt it would damage the fan, and have never heard of that happening, but I am not fan engineer. It will not damage the controller either, unless it is designed very poorly, or is overloaded (trying to control a fan(s) with wattage over the rated handling power of the controller, which is pretty hard to do if using the type of fans used in quiet computing).

Spoon Boy

Post by Spoon Boy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:45 pm

ENSLAVER wrote:Also would be awesome if someone could recommend a 'cheap' 0v-12v controller without annoying LEDs :D
Cheapest i know is Zalman fanmate, but it doesn't go down to 0v, think lowest is 5v

Had a look around, don't know if you can get them where you are but Sunbeamtech Rheobus
goes down to 0v