How can I reduce Thermaltake Volcano Silent Boost fan speed

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tasaf

How can I reduce Thermaltake Volcano Silent Boost fan speed

Post by tasaf » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:49 am

Hello All,

I bought Thermaltake Volcano Silent Boost and I thought it will be silent (21dB) - but it is not that quiet. Its fan speed is relatively constant on 2450rpm. The CPU is very cold and I think it can operate with 1500rpm and it can save me some noise. I am using Gigabyte GA-7N400-L1 nForce2 Ultra400 chipset motherboard and I tried to change the fan speed through the BIOS but it does not help me.
I used to own a very cheap CPU fan and when I used the smart CPU fan speed option - it worked, the fan speed was slow when idle and fast when under heavy load.
Is there is any software option to reduce the speed ?
If not, is there is any cheap hardware solution ?

Thanks, Asaf.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:51 am

Might want to try Speedfan as a software option, or a Zalman fanmate as a cheap ($5) hardware option. either one will work.

mathias

Post by mathias » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:40 am

Not sure how you'd be able to tell, but that fan is probably not a Panaflo M1A like thermaltake used to include with silentboosts, so you might want to swap it for something quiter.

tasaf

Post by tasaf » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:58 am

Rusty075 wrote:Might want to try Speedfan as a software option, or a Zalman fanmate as a cheap ($5) hardware option. either one will work.
WOW, Speedfan works great !!!! I barely hear the CPU fan.
I hope I will not harm my system. At the beginning nothing happened after I had changed "PWM 1 mode" to "Software controlled" it started working.
Changing Speed01 to 0% => 0 rpm
Changing Speed01 to 2% => 1023 rpm
Changing Speed01 to 5% => 1550 rpm
Changing Speed01 to 10% => 2250 rpm
Changing Speed01 to 20% => 2596 rpm
Changing Speed01 to 50% => 2722 rpm

I can not understand the percentage logic here but I can change fan speed.
Also, I hope that under heavy load it will automatically increase fan speed.

Thank you Rusty075, you have been very helpful.
Mathias, it seems that it is very silent :-)

Now, it is about time to replace the PSU to fanless one.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:02 pm

You can setup Speedfan to automatically change the fan speed based on the CPU temperature, so it will be very slow (and quiet) while idling or browsing the web, but then speed up with you're doing something that stresses the system, like playing games.

Check the help files and Speedfan's site for info on how to get that to work. It's fairly simple

tasaf

Post by tasaf » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:43 pm

It looks like that the automatic option works but not perfectly. When the temprature increases, even in 1 degree, it boosts up the fan speed. I have not found a way to widen the range.

sundevil_1997

Post by sundevil_1997 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:50 am

tasaf wrote:It looks like that the automatic option works but not perfectly. When the temprature increases, even in 1 degree, it boosts up the fan speed. I have not found a way to widen the range.
Like Rusty said, check the help files. There's an excellent tutorial on how to set up fan speeds and set up ranges for temperatures.

also, make sure the cpu fan is only selected to moderate the cpu temperature. I had mine spinning up because it was still selected as a fan for the hard drive temp also. Those boxes are on the Temps tab. Just click the + next to every temp listed, and clear all the boxes, except for the CPU fan on the CPU temp.

Again, the tutorial tells it better. Good luck! i Love speedfan, it's what's keeping me from having to shell out for a new CPU HSF on my media PC.

scotty6435

Post by scotty6435 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:49 pm

Set the fan to operate between say 2% and 7% and fiddle and change with the temperature range for these speeds until you find a good mix between idle temps and noise and keeping temps down when the CPU is under stress.