Wiring/Rewiring MOLEX connectors...

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Queue

Wiring/Rewiring MOLEX connectors...

Post by Queue » Mon Oct 14, 2002 9:14 am

The other day I was discarding some older computers. Before I did so, I gutted them, grabbing anything I considered potentially useful. I cut a number of MOLEX connectors from the PSU, thinking I could make some 7Volt converters and maybe some Y splitters, etc.

Is there some secret or tool that is used to remove/re-insert the pins, etc. into the MOLEX connectors?

Also, does anyone have a favorite online source for such items (tools or connectors/pins)?

Thanks,

Queue

TerryW

Post by TerryW » Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:20 pm

Hello Queue,

Yes there are special tools to crimp the pins onto the wire and to extrct the pins from the connector body. All parts & tools are made by MOLEX. The extraction tool is basically a round tube on the outside with a plunger down the middle.

The tube slides over the outside of the pin and retracts two small 'barbs' back into the pin. The plunger simply pushes the pin out of the conector. With the aid of a pair of needle-nose pliers, one can easily remove the (male) pins.

Look at the end of the connector and see the 2 barbs on the pin. Insert the neeedle-nose pliers into the connector body, and carefully squeeze the pliers so the barbs go back into the pin. At the same time, carfeully pull on the wire and the pin should come out of the connector body.

Once the pin is out, look at the 'barbs' to ensure they could still retain the pins in the conenctor. If not and they are pushed all the way into the sides of the pin, put on a pair of safety glasses and use a small Exacto knife and carefully pry the barb out. Not too much, as the pin is fragile & can break off.

With a little patience and experience, you will master this very quickly.

Unfortunatley, the (female) receptacles are more difficult, but not impossible. Basically, use a small circular 'shim' to go between the pin & the connector body and retract the barbs. The easier way is to look around for a MOLEX pin extractor.

If you do get the pins out and want to attach more wires, and in lieu of the proper crimp tool: just solder. I have done lots of electronic kit building and soldered the pins. Once they are installed into the connectors, no-one but you will know.

To find the MOLEX dealer in your area, look on the 'net. I purchased my pin crimp tool & extractor tool from Newark Electronics (USA).

Good luck.

TerryW

Queue

Post by Queue » Mon Oct 14, 2002 1:39 pm

Unfortunatley, the (female) receptacles are more difficult, but not impossible
hehe :wink:

Thanks TerryW, I'll see if I can do it, otherwise, I'll look for a tool.

Queue

quokked

Post by quokked » Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:57 pm

I've found it easier to just cut the wires on the end of the molex plugs and fiddling round with them, I've tried the method that TerryW said as well with the pilers that works pretty well as well... good luck :)

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:09 am

I have always just used a very small flathead screwdriver to push the barbs in a bit - i find this works with the male and female connectors. But as Terry said be careful about the barbs breaking off if your are reuseing them. If your gonna be doing a lot of them, might be worth investing in a proper set of Molex tools like Terry suggested.

I also used a small screwdriver to 'undo' the crimping, and then solder the replacement wires in place.

gbass01

Post by gbass01 » Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:33 am

All the molex components are dirt cheap at Jameco.com. Just buy new and save yourself time and aggravation. I use a small surgical needle driver to crimp the wiring on, they are available at your nearest med school book store.

Jameco also have decent prices on PanafloM1A fans and are my source for 100 Ohm 5 Watt Pots (which I use 1-to-1 to rheostat all my Panaflo's). Oh yeah, their wire mesh fan filters are pretty cheap too.

TerryW

Post by TerryW » Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:48 am

Dear Gbass01,

Welcome and thanks for the heads up.

TerryW